Salt

I awoke is a room with seashell covered walls and a floor made if sand. I looked around trying to figure out where I was. It took me a moment to realize that I was underwater.

How was I breathing? Was I dead? What is happening?

That's when I looked down. I drew in a breath, shocked. I had a fishes tail. The tail, my tail, is rose gold and aqua blue with random silver spots.

Why do I have a tail? How do I have a tail?

I look up at the ceiling feeling lost. I noticed a lone jellyfish and a couple of brightly colored fish. I sighed, waiting for something to happen. Not having anything covering my breasts was getting uncomfortable. I started to move my long blonde hair towards my chest to cover me up and then a man walked in, or more accurately..swam in.

I looked at him alarmed. Did he know that I was in here half naked? because if he didn't this was going to be embarrassing. I coughed to get his attention, but it came out as a gurgling sound. The man chuckled and turned around to face me.

His chest was bare and nicely tanned for someone who lived under water. His tail was electric blue and it matched his eyes. He had short brunette hair and super white teeth. I gawked at his gorgeousness and realized too little too late that my mouth was hanging open. I quickly shut it looking sheepishly down at the ground.

He chuckled again and said, "Never seen a merman before?"

I looked at him and shook my head no. He smiled and then turned around again.

"May I ask what you are doing?" I asked him after about two minutes of sitting in awkward silence.

"You may. I am contacting King Titus to tell him of a female newcomer. You obviously. How old are you?" he said.

"I'm sixteen..wait, king?" I said imploringly.

He nodded and continued to mess with thing on the counter in front of him. I shifted my body so that my tail was hanging off of the bed typed thing I had been lying on before. I leaned back placing my hands behind me but recoiled once I felt something squirm underneath my touch. Starfish of different shapes, sizes, and colors made up a layer of the bed and I gasped at the bizzarness of it.

The man turned around and laughed twice. Before handing me something green and papery.

"Eat this. You're probably hungry. It's seaweed and looks disgusting at first, but you'll like it. All mermaids do." He told me.

"Okay." I agreed. I put the seaweed in my mouth and chewed. My mouth was instantly filled with a salty taste and it was wonderful. "Can I have some more?" I asked the man and he chuckled as he handed me some.

"You are probably wondering why you have a tail, who I am, and how you got here." He stated. I nodded at him as I continued to eat. "Okay well you have a tail because you are a mermaid, obviously. You are a mermaid because you died in the ocean. Anyone who dies in the ocean or is dying in the ocean, is turned into a mermaid or merman. It's confusing, I know. But sooner or later you will understand how the ocean heals. I'm Torrin. We don't have last names here. We have tribes. You will be picked by a tribe that feels you are fit for their skills. You were brought here by King Titus' hunters. They hunt for the dead in the ocean. We all have jobs here. Mine is a tour guide/assistant doctor. Oh and I'm eighteen years old if you were wondering." He explained.

"Okay. Is there a palace? A city?" I asked him.

He nodded yes and then motioned for me to follow him out the door that I didn't notice was there before.

(A/N) I'm trying a fantasy book. Not sure how it's going to turn out.

What do you think of the idea of where this is going?