chapter 3

In summer, I was a morning person. I loved waking up and feeling the sun against my skin. This is why I had no problem waking up on Monday morning at 6am. My first lecture began at 8am and ended at 10am and my second lecture from 1pm to 3pm.

My schedule was not hectic for first semester, or maybe it was the degree I had chosen. I was majoring in Human Development and Psychological Services. On Monday's, I had two lectures, Tuesday's I had three, Wednesday's I had one, Thursday's I had one and Friday's I had off, unless I had an extra lesson. I had taken on a lot more than I was supposed to and that's why I had lectures almost every single day. My friends had lectures two to three times a week.

I didn't mind though, the busier I was the better. I didn't like having nothing to do. When I was busy, I was happy. I wasn't anxious. The minute I was left alone with my thoughts, I was run a million scenarios through my head and eventually freak myself out to the point where I would throw up whatever was in my stomach.

Aspen struggled a lot more than I did waking up for her 8am lecture. At 7:15am, she still wasn't awake and I took matters into my own hands.

"Aspen, you have to wake up now," I shook her. That was my weak attempt at waking her up.

"Five more minutes, mom." I chuckled and then began to shake her more violently. "I hate you!"

This only caused me to laugh louder and Aspen's eyes shot open. Somebody was not a morning person.

"Good morning sleepyhead," I greeted.

She glared at me. "Why are you waking me up?"

"We have our first lecture in a few minutes."

Although Aspen and I had different majors, we still had some of the same lectures, such as Philosophy and Introduction to Psychology. As I said, I picked up a few extra classes and I was sure I would find my other friends in my other lectures.

After a few minutes of trying to drag Aspen out of bed, she finally agreed to get up and get done. I waited for her to shower and we made our way to the lecture hall. Neither of us really spoke on our way over there, and this surprised me. Aspen usually wouldn't shut up. I wondered if something else was actually bothering her.

"They better serve us coffee or some shit," Aspen grumbled. I laughed lightly. She was definitely not a morning person. It had nothing to do with something bothering her. Aspen just wanted some sleep and some coffee.

"Maybe we should go and buy some things for the dorm," I suggested.

"That's a good idea. Then I can have coffee in the morning."

We found seats near the back and I took out my notebook, pens and highlighters. When the lecture started, I began to make notes. Aspen put her head on the desk and I was pretty sure she was out within a few minutes. I wrote the notes clearly so that she would be able to photocopy them from me and and understand them properly.

At the end of the lecture, I woke Aspen up and we made our way to the local grocer. After her nap, Aspen appeared to be in a much better mood and was even talking and making jokes. I couldn't even blame her for being moody because I was exactly the same in winter. I would be surprised if I showed up to even one of my morning lectures.

At the grocer, we picked up a few things and then made our way back to the dorm. I began to prepare lunch for us. Aspen was done for the day, and seeing as my next lecture only began at 1pm, I still had some time.

"Nova, Charlie wants to know if she can come by," Aspen said.

I looked at her, "Of course."

I had no idea why she was asking me. Charlie was her friend. Possibly even my friend too. She could come by whenever she wanted to.