chapter 8

Mckenna

I tried calling Nate a few times later and texting him, but he didn't respond to any of my calls or messages. I sat on Lizzy and Ben's couch replaying the events that just unfolded in my head and trying to make sense of it, but I just couldn't.

There were noises at the door and Ben and Lizzy walked in and they were arguing.

"Don't even start, Lizzy. I don't want to hear it." Ben had an annoyed expression on his face.

"I can't have an opinion?" She retorted.

"No, not on this." Ben shook his head.

"That movie was absolute and utter trash." Lizzy was saying.

"It was amazing, what are you talking about?" Ben looked at her like she was crazy.

Lizzy just looked at me and put her hands on her hips and said, "Trash." She rolled her eyes. "I can't believe I watched that. I think I lost brain cells." Lizzy walked down the hall into their room.

Ben stood in front of me shaking his head. "Lizzy should be listed on google as one of the causes of hypertension."

I chuckled. Lizzy and Ben needed their own reality tv show. They were funny together.

I decided to take this moment to talk to Ben since he may understand his male species better than I could.

"Can I talk to you about something, Ben?" I asked.

Ben's expression turned serious as he sat down next to me on the couch. "Yeah of course, Mckenna." He lowered his voice a bit in order to respect my privacy since I specifically asked him for advice instead of Lizzy.

"Well, it's about Nate. He just seems really...guarded. Like, I can't tell if he likes me or not. He's confusing me and giving me mixed signals. I don't think he's trying to get in my pants because sometimes he won't even look at me. And well, we kissed and he got upset and kept apologizing." I explained.

Ben nodded to signify that he was listening then he said, "Hm, sounds like you're dating your sister in male form."

I couldn't help but laugh. "Why? Was lizzy playing hard to get?"

Ben smiled as he had a thoughtful look on his face. "I Would say playing hard to love. I just had to learn her love language. She wasn't really good at putting her feelings into words. With time it became easier for her." He ran his fingers through his dark hair. "everyone shows love and needs love differently. Just be patient." I sighed. I was awful at being patient when it came to guys.

"As for mixed signals. He might be battling something else emotionally." Ben said. "I can't speak for him exactly, even though he is a guy."

I sighed in defeat. "I just really don't know what to do."

"If you care about someone, you have to fight no matter what circumstances you may face. Don't stop being the loving person that you are, Mckenna. You have a big heart. Keep letting that show." Ben said. "Love is hard. Relationships are harder."

"You and Lizzy make it look easy."

Ben chuckled and then his chuckles turned into full blown laughter. "Easy? With Lizzy?" He stood up and patted me on the shoulder. "That was a good one, Kenna." Ben said before disappearing down the hall.

--

I got ready for work the next morning. I was working with Nate today so I was prepared to ask him what got him so upset last night after we kissed. At this point, I didn't know whether he liked me or whether he just tolerated me. I was beyond confused about where we stood.