Chapter Twenty Three

Jenny

            As much as I resent Nick, I can’t help but feel bad for him. I know what happened to him, Joe and Matt and I get he doesn’t have much of choice when it comes to constantly attacking me and my friends. But still, I wish he would fight Rob and Scotch. One day, he seems unusually tense. I walk past him five times and he doesn’t even notice. I decide to listen in on his conversation with Joe and Matt. While he sits on a bench by the stone wall, I press against the wall and listen to him. “Why do Rob and Scotch want to talk to you?” Matt asks. “Who knows? Maybe he wants me to bring him a dead body.” Nick rolls his eyes. He’s so fake. I know perfectly well he doesn’t want to kill anyone. “What are you going to do?” Joe asks. “Maybe next time I have my knife against Jenny’s neck I’ll press down a little harder.” He threatens fingering his shiny knife. I shudder. He wouldn’t. “Or maybe you could be nice and simply quit.” Matt suggests hopefully. “As if! Even you haven’t quit with your huge crush on Krys.” Nick teases. “When are you meeting them?” Joe asks softly. Nick gulps. He’s so nervous but Joe and Matt don’t even notice. “After school,” He pauses. “It’s probably just shit.” he mutters. “Where are you meeting them?” Matt’s too scared to meet Nick’s eyes. “In that vacant hallway in the basement. You know . . .”

            Part of me wants to meet the infamous Rob and Scotch and part of me doesn’t want to see Nick get hurt even though he hurts me. So after school, I sneak down into the Vacant Hallway and hide under the staircase leading down to it. I beat Rob and Scotch there. I don’t see them come but I hear their voices. “Where’s Nick?” a voice booms. I shudder and don’t dare look behind the staircase to see them. “I’m coming.” Nick’s voice answers as he comes down the stairs. To me this sounds like an earthquake. “Who’ve you killed?” a different voice demands. There’s a pause. “Uh . . . I almost killed Jenny . . .” he mumbles softly. “Who is that?” the first voice asks. “The lizard girl. You know . . . small, pale skin, purple dress.” Nick explains. I scowl at the wall when I hear small. “So why didn’t you kill her?” the second voice shouts. “Two of her friends came and attacked me.” Nick explains. I grin and remember Hunter and Krys saving me and giving me my purple gem. “You’re pathetic. You got beat up by three middle schoolers!” the second voice snaps. I hear a noise that sounds like a slap. I flinch and wonder if they hit Nick. I can’t stand it. They can’t just hit him for no reason. As much of a jerk he is, he’s just what they want. Tall, cruel, intimidating. I can’t stop myself. I raise my gem and transform. “Leave him alone!” I cry stepping out of the shadows.

            When I see Rob and Scotch I’m shocked. For one, they’re not men they’re boys. And two, they don’t look all that much bigger than Nick. They look like eighteen or nineteen. The shorter boy only looks a little taller than me. He has short red hair. The taller boy has a black baseball cap and wavy blond hair. I stare at them shocked. I thought they would be men and yet they were just two boys that couldn’t be older than twenty. They are equally shocked when they see me. But instead of staring at me, they burst out laughing. My face burns. I’m unsure of what they’re laughing at. “Jenny?” Nick asks shocked. Rob and Scotch laugh harder. “You couldn’t kill her? She’s so little.” The short boy teases. I blush and lower my eyebrows. “She’s only a kid.” The tall boy remarks. They laugh at me and taunt me like I’m not even there. “Shut up.” I say fiercely. This just makes the two of them laugh harder. “What are you gonna do little girl?” the short boy asks. “Scotch! Gimme your gun.” The short boy orders. I figure he must be Rob and the tall boy must be Scotch. Rob steps forward. He really couldn’t be more than a few inches taller than me. Scotch hands Rob his gun. Scotch slips behind me. I feel his cold hands on my shoulders. I quickly sidestep away from him.

            “Is this really the best B.B could do?” Scotch asks snickering. “How old are you anyway?” Rob asks smirking. “Fourteen.” I mumble. In my chorus classroom there’s a poster that says “Age doesn’t matter unless you’re cheese”. I guess Rob and Scotch don’t agree because when they hear me they just laugh again. Rob stops laughing suddenly. “I’ll show you how to kill someone.” He threatens holding out his gun. I’ve seen the other people in my group do this. I hold out my hand and a beam of purple light shoots out and hits Rob. He falls over and drops his gun. “Little bitch.” He moans. Scotch’s hands wrap around my neck. I quickly squirm out of his grasp and dash to the top of the stairs. For a split second, I stop and look down at Rob, Scotch and Nick. Rob stands up slowly. I meet Nick’s eyes. He looks confused. “Just this one time you biscuit.” I mutter running off. I smile despite myself. Small or not I’ll show them.

(I'm sorry it took so long for me to update. Thank you people so much for all the fudging reads! I have like 5k!!!!!! Pleasepleaseplease keep voting! There's a lot that will happen so why wait when the faster you vote the quicker I update ;)