Chapter 8

Jerome's POV

"Guys, we should find somewhere to sleep. Night is coming fast," I say. Mitch nods.

"We don't need to look far. Before I climbed that rock, I saw a cave on the side of it. It's big enough for us and it's pretty well hidden," Skyler says. She leads us over to a well concealed cave that was relatively large.

"Perfect," Mitch says. We enter the cave and start setting up. As we are, we hear a cannon go off. We ignore it and continue to set up. Eventually, we have two beds set up. The third person will switch off with someone else once their watch is over.

"I'll be on first watch," says Skyler.  

"Alright," I reply.  Mitch, Skyler and I wait outside the door to the cave for the list of fallen tributes to show up.  So far, I only know of one person who had died today, and that was Quentin.  Other than that, I don't know who the other two tributes are. 

The song from the Capitol begins to play, announcing the beginning of the list.  First person is Quentin, District 4.  Then Brooke, District 12 and last, Burton, District 8. 

"Do you think we were the ones that killed Burton?  That the wound we gave him ended up killing him?" Skyler asks, her voice soft.  

"I don't know," Mitch whispers.  

"Let's get to bed, okay?" I say.  Mitch nods and we walk into the cave, snuggling into our separate beds.  I can see Skyler sitting in the doorway, and every once in a while, she looks back at us and smiles.  

"Hey Biggums?" Mitch asks quietly.  

"Yeah?" I reply.  

"What will you do if I die?" 

I stay quiet for a moment.  I hadn't really thought that all of us, or all except one of us, are going to die.  

"I would kill the person who killed you, and then I... would fight with your sword," I say, my voice breaking a bit.  I had sworn to never fight with a sword, but I would do it for Mitch.  

"You would do that for me?" he asks.  

"I would die for you, Benja."  

I look at the door and see Skyler looking at us over her shoulder.  She's smiling, and her eyes are wet.  

"You okay, Skyler?" Mitch asks.  She nods and walks over to us, hugging us both.  

"I know it hasn't been long, but I already love you guys."  

With that, Mitch and I both fall asleep.  

Skyler's POV

I wake up and stretch.  Mitch is outside already, watching for danger.  Jerome is sleeping, and I gently wake him up.  

"Come on, Jerome," I whisper.  He blinks slowly and stretches while making the sounds of a dinosaur/bacca crossbreed.  

"When's breakfast?" he mumbles.  

"Right now, sleepy fur!  Come on!" I chuckle.  He gets up and walks out of the cave.  Mitch hands him bread and an apple and he scarfs them down.  

"Well, what do we do today?" I ask. 

"I guess we search for other tributes.  There's not much else to do," Mitch shrugs.  Jerome and I agree and we begin wandering through the trees.  

We reach a river and see Adam, Ty and Ian facing off against another 3 tributes.  I can't quite make out who they are, but they all look like girls.