quinque

That Saturday morning, Amber had decided to spend the night at Andi's, and left TJ a message in braille.

Running his hand over the bumps, he knew what it said.

Dear TJ,
I am spending the weekend at Andi's. Knowing you, you have woken up late and Mom and Dad have already left for work.
I left you some food. Hope Dad hasn't eaten it.
Love, Amber

He smiled. There was a sticker next to 'Love Amber' which was a small heart.

He had found the food relatively easily. She had labelled each one.

He smiled at how much time she must've put into all of this.

Amber always tried her best to make life easy for her brother.

That afternoon, TJ decided he would go to The Spoon. Amber had taken him there once; he remembered the way and successfully navigated his way to the diner.

He opened the door and stepped inside, the smell of food instantly hitting him.

He barely stepped inside before he heard a voice calling him.

❝TJ!❞

Cyrus. Cyrus, his new best friend.

❝Hi Cy!❞

He found his way to Cyrus' table, and Buffy and Marty were there too, as Cyrus explained.

❝Buffy and Marty are here too. You can sit by me.❞

TJ waved and slipped into the spot next to Cyrus.

❝Cyrus has told us all about you.❞

❝Awe, did you really, Underdog?❞

He had started using the nickname since their previous hang out only two days ago.

❝Well... I said I spent lunch with my new friend TJ and they asked about you.❞ He glared at the two because they were twisting up events.

❝Haha, okay Underdog.❞ He said.

❝We were just about to order. Do you want something?❞

❝I'll have whatever you're having.❞ TJ shrugged.

And half an hour later, Cyrus and TJ were sharing baby taters. Buffy and Marty surprisingly didn't make an excuse to leave the two 'lovebirds' alone.

❝Cyrus told me you guys are on the basketball team.❞ TJ said, trying to start a conversation.

❝Yeah! Buffy's the best person on the team!❞ Marty put his arm around her, squeezing her to his side, before she pushed him off.

❝Well... I can't disagree with that.❞ She laughed a little.

TJ liked them already. Two kind souls that were perfect for each other.

The conversation went on for a couple of hours; they had finished their food, but still, the group of friends sat there. TJ fit so easily into that group, it made him and Cyrus (but mostly Cyrus) happy.

TJ and Cyrus weren't that athletic; his parents (nor him or Amber) had the time to hire special services for the blind so they could do sports.

Cyrus was a flimsy little creature, always being way too skinny and underweight and fragile. He would bruise too easily.

But it was okay because Buffy and Marty did enough sports for the four of them.

Buffy had enough pride, Marty had enough jokes, Cyrus had enough positivity and TJ had enough thoughtfulness for the four of them.

Each of them had something the others lacked, or had little of. And when they were together there was nothing they couldn't do.

TJ and the other three had been laughing for hours, or at least until their insides hurt.

TJ wasn't sure when Buffy and Marty had left. He was having too much fun with Cyrus. He was telling jokes, while TJ drank his milkshake and laughed.

The boy's jokes were horrible, but TJ loved them anyway.

❝TJ, I think we should go...❞ Cyrus said, grabbing his arm.

TJ pursed his lips and nodded, standing up.

TJ stood up too.

❝Cyrus, can I walk you home?❞

❝Yeah, if you really want to. I'll lead the way.❞

TJ knew he didn't mean to seem overbearing, he just assumed TJ didn't know the way there.

It had became a pink lemonade afternoon again as the two began walking down the sidewalk.

Cyrus didn't strike TJ as someone who would be quite superstitious, and he just proved what TJ thought was wrong.

He wouldn't step on any cracks. He just wouldn't. TJ thought that was adorable.

It was very cold and Cyrus' coat wasn't enough to keep him warm. But he wouldn't tell TJ in case he gave him his. He didn't need Buffy and Marty to make fun of it if it did happen.

Their breath a simple puff of smoke, the sky an ombre of pink and blue.

All TJ was focused on in that moment was Cyrus and how he was skipping, cleverly avoiding the cracks and singing a song.

That boy was too positive for his own good. TJ wanted to protect him from the world.

And all Cyrus wanted to do was take the blows for TJ.

He wasn't in love - no, that wasn't it - he just wanted to protect him. He was the first person in a while to treat Cyrus with kindness, and he wanted to do something for him.

❝Here's my house! See you Monday!❞ Cyrus said in his naturally cheerful voice.

❝See you Monday...❞ TJ said, so quietly it was barely audible.

But Cyrus heard it. And, giving him a smile, he walked inside.

And TJ wondered what he had gotten himself into, becoming friends with Cyrus.

But at the same time...

he couldn't imagine a life without him.