|1| Apples and Peaches

"Birds scream at the top of their lungs
in horrified hellish rage
every morning
at daybreak
to warn us all of the truth,
but sadly
we don't speak bird."

Kurt Cobain

He didn't move.

No matter how many times I pushed, or how hard I gritted my teeth in frustration.

He didn't move an inch.

I sighted in irritation and brought an arm on my forehead, washing away in disgust the sweat that was falling down like Niagara falls.

"Come on" I pleaded again, but he simply turned his head, bringing his bored dark eyes on the wall instead and turned his body, giving me a beautiful view of his furry grey butt.

I sighted again in annoyance because my sister was an idiot and more stubborn than the donkey in front of me in wanting to keep it at all costs, and the hot air of August was making everything worse and more irritating than usual.

"Dafne!" I shouted exasperated for the hundred time, letting my voice be heard above all the rumours the animals were making. The house wasn't too distant, so I knew she was hearing me, but had decided to ignore me at least five times.

"What?!" she finally shouted back in exasperation from home, as I had interrupted her precious morning of doing nothing.

"Get your useless ass right here and move this thing before I decide to cook it for dinner!" I shouted again, trying to take again the rein, but the animal had decided to hate me today like always and moved even further away, nipping some hay from the ground and looking at me with his glossy eyes in satisfaction. I grasped my hair in frustration.

Dafne fortunately arrived shortly after that before there would really be donkey stew, talking happily at the phone and walking casually without a care in the world.

"Don't worry" I said sarcastically as she slowly passed "I am in no hurry here"

Dafne responded by rolling her baby-blue eyes and waving her hands as to drive away an annoying fly.

I turned the head to the other side of the stable, focusing on the window where our beautiful cherry-trees could be seen in an attempt to not get angry at my little sister. Even if I loved her, there were still times that I wished to strangle the girl for how much irritating and annoying she could be. Especially now that she was a teenager.

The infuriating animal immediately turned his head when he spotted the young girl and greeted her happily, greedy for the cuddles and treats he knew she would surely give him.

After some "such a sweet boy" and some carrots, they both left, going to take a walk or whatever they usually did while I cleaned the space from all the mess he made.

Not that I hated him, of course, when he wanted he could be really cute and funny, I only really disliked when its stubborn side came out and the only one who it would listen was my sister.

She had rescued "Chad" when she was thirteen, and he was only few months old, from a more gruesome end. Unfortunately, since my sister had started the new school this year and was away all week except weekends, me and my father would fight with the pig-head animal every day over the simplest things.

When he decided that he wanted something, or rather didn't want to do something, there was nothing we could do to make him change his mind. You could cry, you could scream in frustration and hit your head on a concrete wall, he wouldn't move an inch.