XXII. JAIME LANNISTER (3)

PLOTa year has passed and with her brother's beheading, lady reed's life has been uprooted

PLOT
a year has passed and with her brother's beheading, lady reed's life has been uprooted. jaime is now prisoner to her nephew and new king of the north, robb stark and she hasn't spoken to her husband, howland since the birth of their stillborn child.

meanwhile, joanna reed yet again dances with the idea of being with her cousin while she sees him holding her birth father prisoner as an opportunity to finally confront jaime lannister.

◆◆◆

LADY REED'S POINT OF VIEW

Jaime Lannister had just been brought to his knees when Richard Karstark buffeted through the crowd and demanded that they let him take the Kingslayer's head.

The sound of swords being unscathed joined the clamor of the mob that had formed as the guards stepped in front of Jaime and drew against the Lord of Karhold.

"Lord Karstark," I called out to the man, as I too broke through the crowd with Lady Brienne at my heels. "This man is our prisoner!"

"This monster killed my son!" Karstark's wild eyes held mine as he pointed his sword at Jaime.

"And crippled my nephew!" I reminded him of little Bran Stark. "He will answer for his crimes- I promise you. But not here."

"I will have his head." He shook his head with menace. "And if you try an' stop me-"

"Threatening my lady is an act of treason!" Lady Brienne's hand shot to her sword.

"Treason?" Karstark guffawed. "How can it be treason to kill Lannisters?" He shot Jaime a nasty look.

"I understand your grief, my Lord." I threw a hand back to pacify Brienne and heard her drop her sword back into its scabbard. "But in the name of my nephew and your king, stand down."

Karstark has decided that he'd made enough scene that day and retreated after a few more vile words thrown in Jaime's direction.

"Thank you for fighting on my behalf, Lady Reed." Came Jaime's smooth voice. When I turned my head and watched the guards bring him back up to his feet, I realized how unrecognizable he was with his usual honey colored hair muddied and strands of it falling into his eyes. Bloodied cuts scored his face and instead of their usual bright green, his eyes gleamed a pitch black. But the same arrogance administered his tone and the same nerving smile stretched across his lips. "I would have come to your defense but . . . there wasn't much I could have done from on my knees. You had always been the one good at that."

"Take him to the stockades!" I demanded the guards. "Bind him with every chain you can find!"

"There's the she-wolf I love!" Jaime's teeth gleamed a bright white through his grin as the guards pulled at him in the direction of the stockades. "I'd grown quite concerned that Reed had softened your true nature by far too much!" It was the last thing I heard him say before he was hideously yanked off, stumbling over his feet so that he was practically being dragged away.