Chapter 7

Kassielle, Liam, Piper, and Lili were back at their table sitting and eating desserts. Jonah, Jeff, and Mike, their classmates from school, came to their table to hang out with them. They were joined by Stella, Harriette, and Amber who were standing and talking intently, wine glasses in their hands.

Still not getting over her first dance with Liam, Kassielle sat on the chair and stared blankly at the ceramic plate in front of her, stuffing her mouth with cupcakes even though she didn't really like the taste of it. She just needed something to do as she replayed the scene from earlier again and again in her head. She'd held Liam's hands for about four minutes, his soft and slender hands cold to touch. She'd felt the calluses on his fingertips caused by his frequent playing of the guitar. She'd felt nervous, but also comfortable and calm. Is it even possible to be nervous and calm at the same time? She wasn't sure, but that was what Liam made her feel. It was probably the only romantic thing that happened between the two of them. Ever.

She glanced at Liam who was now laughing with Jonah, Harriette and Amber. She hoped she could read his mind right now, at this moment. Is he also thinking about their dance? 

Kassielle bit her lip. What if he didn't? What if that was just a dance to him and nothing more? What if he just danced with her because he had no one else to dance with? She couldn't shake off the negative thoughts. She looked down, lowered her hand and put the half-eaten cupcake on the plate. It suddenly tasted bitter.

Kassielle looked around instead, trying to find anything that might distract her thoughts. She could hear the laughter and conversations all around. People were mostly talking about business and trips all over the world. Kassielle couldn't relate. She wondered how it felt like to be that rich, to not worry about monthly expenses, mortgages, and tuitions. To only brood over whichever country she should travel next. Even if they had lots of money when her dad was still alive, they were never that lavish.

Kassielle could literally feel the energy in the banquet hall; it was even warmer than when she had first arrrived. Sweat trickled down her cheek. She wiped it with the back of her palm, and as she placed her hand on her lap she saw that it was streaked with her foundation.

"What a bitch."

A frowning Stella slumped on the chair next to Kassielle, huffing. Her lips were pursed and she looked like she was about to throw a tantrum, which Kassielle saw her do a couple of times before.

"What's wrong?" Kassielle asked.

Stella looked at her, her brown eyes cold and rigid. "Killian left. Look where he is right now," she pointed at him. "With a bunch of stupid girls." Kassielle looked into the direction she was pointing at and saw Kyle and Killian holding their wine glasses, talking and laughing with three girls whom Kassielle had never seen before. The black-haired girl wearing a white dress, much like Kassielle's but shorter, leaned closer to Killian and handed him her phone. Probably to get his number.

"Maybe Kyle's just introducing him to his friends. I think I heard them talk about it earlier," she said, hoping it would lessen Stella's irate demeanour.

Stella crossed her arms. "And you didn't tell me? Kassielle you're supposed to tell me every information you know about him!" she accused, her voice slightly raised.

"Uhh, I'm supposed to?" Kassielle scratched her head.

Stella rolled her eyes. "Of course. You're my friend. You're my cupid, remember? You don't even have to expect me to say that to you. You should just do it without me even telling you."

"Okay. I will next time."

"Just make sure you do," Stella gave her a serious look.

Kassielle could only sigh. One thing she learned about Stella is that you always have to do what she says or she'll throw a tantrum. A huge one. She'd learned that the hard way. Stella huffed again and stood up to babble with Harriette and Amber.