CHARACTERS

NAME OF MAIN CHARACTER:

The main character of this novel, many would say, is Jean Louise Finch (Scout). This could be supported by the fact that it is in first person point of view from scout, even though Jem Finch and Atticus both play extremely important roles in the story all on their own.

THREE CHARACTERS TO DESCRIBE SCOUT:

Rambunctious- difficult to control or handle; wildly boisterous

Jean Louise Finch is an extremely rambunctious character throughout the entire novel, although she learned to control her emotions eventually. She is so rowdy at one point that she kicks an adult man who attempts to harm her brother.

"'Don't you touch him!' I kicked the man swiftly."

- Page 155

There are many other examples of Scout being rambunctious, such as her tomboy behavior throughout the novel that upsets Aunt Alexandra to the fullest extent. She also gets into multiple fights at school during Part One of the novel, and into one with Francis. She eventually learns to control her emotions better using Atticus's advice.

Wise- characterized by or showing such power; judicious or prudent

In addition to being rambunctious, Jean Louise Finch is also becomes extremely wise throughout the novel as she, "Comes of Age." She makes hard but good decisions, such as deciding not to fight after her father's advice of:

"You just hold your head high and keep those fists down. No matter what anybody says to you, don't let em' get your goat. Try fightin' with your head for a change."

-Atticus Finch

Because of Atticus's advice and Scout's own common sense, she becomes very wise in her own way throughout the novel. Towards the end, she still believes strongly in who she is, although she still embraces the traditions that her aunt offers to teach her.

Stubborn- fixed or set in purpose or opinion; resolute

At first, Scout is an extremely stubborn character. For example, she does not give up when ostracized by Jem and Dill, and even tries to convince Atticus that she doesn't have to go to school in Chapter 3.

"'You can't do that, Scout,' Atticus said. 'Sometimes it's better to bend the law a little in special cases. In your case, the law remains rigid. So to school you must go.'

'I don't see why I have to go when he doesn't.'''

-Page 35

She continues to persist with this argument as Atticus explains the specific conditions of why the Ewells get special treatment, and teaches Scout what a compromise is. However, the entire theme of the story is "Coming of Age," making Jean Louise an extremely static character. Just as she became wiser throughout the novel, she also became less stubborn.

A QUOTE TO HELP UNDERSTAND SCOUT:

"That Walter's as smart as he can be, he just gets held back sometimes because he has to stay out and help his daddy. Nothin's wrong with him. Naw, Jem, I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks."

-Page 230

This quote shows that Scout is capable of having her own views, such as the fact that she believes all people (folks) to be created equally, in controversy to Jem believing that the four types of people are the ordinary kind, the kind like the Cunninghams, the kind like the Ewells, and people of color.

Scout vs. Jem:

Main Character: Jean Louise Finch

Character: Jeremy Finch

To begin with, Scout and Jem are both static characters that change greatly throughout the novel, becoming wiser and more mature. Although the siblings do have their differences. For example, Scout gets into many more fights than Jem. The four year age difference ends up severing their friendly bond as Jeremy turns 12. Scout doesn't exactly understand as much as Jem, which she denies frequently throughout the novel when Jem mentions it.

Much like Scout, Jem is extremely stubborn and persistent, which can be  shown by the time when he refused to leave the jail after Atticus told him to return home. Although both him and Scout have been literate since they could remember, Jem is in highschool and is allowed to read and write during school, while as Scout is not. He knows better than to fight, and has common knowledge of things such as the stuff they found in the Radley's tree.