VOCABULARY

MORE CHALLENGING WORDS YOU MAY COME ACROSS:

WORDS

DEFINITIONS

Vehement

showing strong feeling; forceful, passionate, or intense.

Chifferobe

a piece of furniture having both drawers and space for hanging clothes.

Acquiescence

agreement or consent by silence or without objection; compliance

Bovine

oxlike; cowlike 

Martyred

a person who willingly suffers death rather than renounce his or her religion.

"To Kill a Mockingbird" VS. "Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry"

The novel "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee is, in some way, similar to the novel "Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry" by Mildred D. Taylor. In both stories, there is a destruction of innocence, or, 'coming of age.' In to Kill a Mockingbird, a six year old white girl grows up and learns about the injustices of the world both from her own experiences, and from her father Atticus and brother Jem. By the end of the book, Scout is nine, the same age as Cassie. Both girls are narrators, although they led very different lives. In "To Kill a Mockingbird," Tom Robinson, a man of innocence who only tried to help people as best as he could, was a mockingbird, an innocence destroyed. Tom happened to be an african american, and was treated unfairly based on his color, just as the negro families were in "Roll of Thunder." T.J., presumably was killed by a pack of angry white boys, and Tom Robinson was killed at the prison after trying to escape his unfair prosecution. Although there are many differences between these two novels, they both come down to the same idea, that racial bias is wrong, and that innocence should not be destroyed, although it always will be.