a million dreams for the world we're gonna make

bela's POV:

when i was a little girl, i had a passion of flying kites. i would fly them every evening at a exact time, in the same place where the gentle waves scatters the evening sun like the sequins that laid scattered and the sand is softly golden with just the right comforting warmth. to rest on the beach feels like a cosy hug, one only matched by the sunshine filled sky. even during exams, i just had to fly a kite. 

maybe because that way i could meet the man of my dreams. mahir sehngal.

we both were not from the same background, he was very poor with not much to live on and he didn't have a proper education yet he was very clever. he never begged, instead he ran a little stall where he would himself make lemonade and sell it. i on the other hand came from a multi billionaire family, had everything i wanted - well what my parents thought i wanted- but yet i longed for a simple life. i hated it when high class people would come to my parents's house for all these meetings. it meant i never had attention from them. but mahir....he gave me all the attention and love in the world. 

we met when i was 8. I was simply flying a kite as the sun was slowly taking its own sweet time to set. then the kite became loose and soon it departed from the string. i followed it as it flew with wind  till i reach the middle of the beach where a fair young boy, no more than 10, held my rainbow kite looking at this curiously.

'what is this?' the very first thing he ever said to me. i happily told him it was a kite and he looked very amused.

the very next day, i came to the beach with my kite and was about to fly it when i heard hi. i turned and remember seeing his eyes sparkle when he saw me and that cute smile....haaye.  i felt a smile being formed as i saw his cute face. he wanted to know how to fly a kite and i showed him. to be fair, it looked as if he was more focused on me than learning how to fly the kite though he did succeed in making the kite fly i will admit.

he was my best friend after a few meetings on the beach. we would play in the sea and build sandcastles with wet sand. we would collect seashells as well. though there were some days when we left the beach and went to a beautiful place where no one else but us knew. a secret garden mahir found. it was gorgeous. the bonsai trees lined the perfect lawn in their wooden boxes. in the centre there was a pond as large as a small lake with flowering lily pads and a wooden bridge that crossed the middle so you could look down at the koi carp. the flower beds were a riot of May colour and even on close inspection they were weed-free.

 amid each green leaf and delicate petal, there were the dancing birds and the squirrels that darted. it was as if the song, the scurries and the subtle movements of flora are their voice, the song of true love for those who listened with more than their ears. i listened to this beautiful song with my heart and because of that song, i learnt that mahir was my mr right and if i was ever to marry, it would be him only. 

soon we both grew up, mahir's financial issue was not going anywhere but he always had the passion to study. growing up, whenever a kid put their old study books for the bin he would nick them and absorb every bit of information from them. 

he wanted to be a doctor as his mum died from cancer when he was only 8 leaving him and his little sister alone and his father was grief-stricken ever since. he got a scholarship with my help and was soon going to leave to Delhi to study medicine. i was so happy for him. i myself finished my studies on fashion designing. 

three days before he left for Delhi, he proposed to me with a lily on the beach and my answer was yes. I don't remember much about that day but all I knew is that I didn't go home till the very next day.

but....life is always cruel. I told my parents the next day that I wanted to marry mahir. I told them all about him but a marriage proposal more like business proposal was slammed right into my face and their words 'you can only marry a man of our standards' ringed in my head.