jillian.

chapter one ☀︎

I lay there completely numb.

I knew I had just got hit by a car.

But i didn't feel the pain. I was just numb.

I can't remember why I was crossing the road, or why I was doing it so carelessly. In fact I didn't even remember where I was..

I started thinking..remember.

I closed my eyes and thought.

And thought.

And thought.

I am fifteen years old.

My name is Jillian Meadler.

I am in abnegation.

Abnegation!

Oh that had to be it.

Okay I thought harder. If that was possible.

I know I am not in a compound of any faction. Road.

I am on the road.

No. No not the road, tracks. I grazed my fingers across the harsh metal. Train tracks. I didn't get knocked out..I-I..I couldnt remember. I ... did I fall? Get pushed? Did I jump? No why would I jump unto tracks.

Pushed. Pushed. Pushed. Pushed!!!!

That had to be it; i got pushed. I was on my way to something and I got pushed. Think. Think. Think, what is today? August seventeenth. What is August seventeenth? My birthday. But its also something else. What...what is it..

A test? Yes that must be it. A test. But for what?

Did-did I just hear something? No it couldn't be.

But it was. A train, I could feel the hard hum on my back and the base of my neck.

I have to get up.

"get up" I whispered to the tracks.

"GET UP, GET UP, GET UP!!!!!"

I wedged my right elbow between two of the tracks and propped up my left leg and slowly but surely got up. and slowly but surely fell. the hum became louder. harder.

I got up, using the same tatic as before. Feeling the astonishing agony in my back. In my thighs. And in my head. I jumped, well more have hobbled out of the tracks and onto the barbed rocks on the side of the tracks.

Face first I fell. For what seemed like forever. And crashed.

Crashed.

I cut my cheek open on small rock. My legs burned. Not hurt. But burned. I couldn't get up and I knew I wouldn't for a while. I tried and surprisingly succeed at wedging my right elbow under my head to stop the bleeding on my cheek and keeping my already sickened head away from the rocks. However that leading to my other bleeding cheek.

okay calm down. calm down.

I cursed under my breath. how could I keep calm, how could I possibly- I was than interrupted by a slightly high pitched male voice.