4

Tonight was a big night at the club. About once a year or so, Jenny manages to convince a woman, probably one of her friends, into having her bachelorette party at the club. And the event was a blowout. Jenny allowed each of her regular male dancers to perform solo dances, and she hired about 10 extra guys to back them up.

Billy was getting two solo songs. He felt electric.

"Jen, is it alright if I stay and watch tonight?" Steve had asked as he took Billy in that evening. "B's got those solos, and I just helped him work really hard on them, and...I don't know, I just...please?"

"I can do you one better," she said, a mischievous glimmer in her eyes. "You can work it."

*****

"Steve? What are you doing back here?" Steve had barged into Billy's dressing room in a panic.

"Jenny said that I have to work this event, and I don't know where to go, and she said that you knew where everything was, and I'm just freaking out a little bit, and I feel like I need to shave but I don't know if that's a thing, and—"

"Woah, Princess," Billy said, walking over to place his hands on Steve's shoulders. "You've got nothing to worry about. I'm kind of a powerhouse 'round these parts, and as long as you stick with me, you're golden." Steve heaved and threatened to rest his head on Billy's shoulder. Billy let him.

"I'm just..." Steve grunted. "I'm not a performer, you know? Like, the last time I did one of these fucking things I nearly fell off the stage." Steve looked up into Billy's eyes. "Do you remember that?"

"Yes, I remember vividly." There was a hot second that night in which Steve had fallen over himself, as he is wont to do, and he ate it. Fortunately, he managed to pull it off alright, twisting himself in a way that suggested it might have been deliberate, but Billy knew better. Billy was also on stage—they were both backup dancers for a much more qualified man—and the pair made knowing eye contact as it happened. We can't afford a trip to the hospital, his face said, holy fuck, why am I so goddamn clumsy?

"Jenny said that I would just have to come out for the first song and then I could go serve drinks, but..." he hesitated, leaning further into Billy's shoulder.

"But what?" Billy asked, beginning to rub his thumbs against Steve's arms comfortingly. "You just have to come out and stand there and look pretty. And you're good at that, Princess. You've got nothing to worry about."

"I don't want it to happen again," he said, his voice falling so quiet it was more of a breath than a whisper. Billy sighed and pulled Steve into his arms.

"You know I'm shit at consoling you, Harrington," he whispered. Steve scoffed, looping his arms around Billy's waist.

"Oddly enough, I have performance anxiety." The pair shared intimate laughter at the situation they found themselves in. They stood like that for a few moments, enjoying the comfort that they shared.

"Come on," Billy said, smacking Steve harshly on the back, "let's get you dressed."

*****

It's 10:05 on the dot when the lights finally dim. A plethora of women let out giddy squeals and the spotlights come alive all at once. This was it. The show was beginning.

The music began blasting through the speakers, an easily recognizable riff pouring out among a simple drum line. Once the girls realized what the song was, everyone was on their feet. Suddenly, men started coming out from behind the curtains, each of them dressed in a crisp suit. The women were losing their minds.