Chapter 36📱Waiting

At the hospital, I couldn't sit still. I walked circles in the waiting area, wishing for someone to come and give some kind of news on Laynie. I didn't care if it was good or bad, not knowing was chipping away at my sanity with each second that pasedt. I had been there well over an hour with nothing. Jax and Kace were trying their hardest to keep me calm. Thank god for my sister taking Elijah because I couldn't focus on him at that time if I wanted to.

My day went from having everything I ever desired, to watching my future being rolled away as if she were already gone. When I finally managed to sit down, I made the mistake of glancing at the tv, seeing the ambulance parked outside of the country club right before we left. I didn't bother to watch further because it made the events of the day replay.

I acted like such an ass. I was always an ass. I didn't deserve her. She was a better person than anyone in my world. Yet, I was too selfish to let her go at that point. I wasn't ready to have it all disappear. It took me a minute to realize the phone ringing was the one in my pocket. Seeing 'Caroline and Evan' on the screen, I felt even more ashamed. I should have called them right away.

"Hello?"

"Milo! What's happening?! I just found out Laynie was taken to the hospital while scrolling through my Facebook!" Her last word came out in a hiss, making me rub one of my eyes in shame. Her mother was none too happy with me.

"I'm not sure. She passed out at the country club. I haven't heard anything yet."

"Did she have enough to eat? Has she been drinking plenty of water?  Growing a person isn't easy. You have to make sure she's taking care of herself!"

When I saw her doctor walking out of the double doors, I didn't even think. Hanging up on Caroline, I met him halfway. The somber look on his face made me want to puke. I feared he had bad news. Holding my breath, I waited for him to talk. Except, he didn't speak. He looked down at his chart, delivering me a grunt. 

"Is she okay?!" I snapped.

"She's fine. Her blood pressure was nearly off the charts when she was brought in and she's dehydrated, but she told me she's been throwing up a lot since yesterday. So that's not uncommon."

Hearing him say 'she told me', lifted my spirit. She was awake and Dr. Lancie said she was fine. I huffed out the breath I was holding. My hands were still trembling when Jax walked up behind me, putting his on my back.

"And the baby?" He asked.

"Laynie said she had a little spotting this morning, so I want to do an ultrasound to make sure everything's okay. Again, spotting is common so don't worry until we check them out."

"Can we see her?" Kace asked.

"Yes, after we do the ultrasound. For right now, just Mr. Stein."

I followed him back to her room, pausing in the doorway when I saw her watching tv. She was laughing as if she didn't just turn my world upside down. When my phone rang again, she swiveled her head in my direction. Keeping the smile on her face, she pointed to the tv.

"Look! Drop Dead Fred is on!"

Ignoring my phone, I found myself and ran up to the bed, bestowing her with feathery kisses all over her face. Dr. Lancie chuckled and cleared his throat.

"Let's not get her worked up again. I'll be right back. I've got to go hunt down a machine." He left the room and I held her head between my hands.

"Who's demanding now, love?"

She stuck her tongue out, narrowing her eyes. "It was my turn."

"Yes, it was. Just find a better way of doing it next time!" I gently tugged her head forward, placing my lips to her forehead. "You scared the fuck outta me."