Chapter 5: The Training

Despite the abhorrent event that had taken place the training continued. After the guards were lined up around us with their guns by their sides, we were abruptly ordered to form a line. The General marched down the line, with a whip behind his back, as if inspecting a collection of dusty trophies. When he came to me, he stopped, looking down at me with a glum glare on his face. I replied with my own glare. His pupils then slithered to the girl next to me, who looked at the floor. "Cuff her, an cuff the brat next to her". I looked behind and felt my hands being clenched together and fastened. The general made a motion with his whip and the guards pushed us forward to follow him. We walked to the other side of hall where a soldier ran over and flicked a grey switch, sticking out of the wall like a bubon, causing an area of the wall to retract and expose a rack of weapons and fighting gear. We were uncuffed and the soldiers went to extract two pairs of boxing gloves, but with no helmets. We ordered to put them on and were lead back to the line of children that watched us. 

We were then told to stand next to each other and face out "opponenting". I stared at the girl next to me, sorrow drifting to one and another through our eyes. "You will spar on the following rules, you will not bite, pinch or scratch, is that understood?". My mouth opened but only to gasp at the General who lowered his eyes enough to catch mine. He grunted like an overbaring pig and shoved me aside. He stared at my 'opponent' and in a faint growl said "fight her". 

The girl only stared back, slightly shaking her head. With a sharp movement, he . She staggered back, her hair drooping over her face as she coughed and splittered. The General said once more, "Fight her". And within that moment, the girl I new had changed. Her head slowly reared up as her dark hair exposed her face, her pupils dilated, her jaws clenched, slowly exposing drips of froth from the side of her mouth. I stepped back, staring into those merciless eyes, my breath diving into my throat. The monster that had given birth before me ripped of her clovers as she walked slowly towards me. I turned my head to the General, then to the soldier behind him whos eyes widened in disbelief. His riffle lifted up to point at the monster, but the hand on the General came down, turning the riffle away and lifting up his head in judgment. My only hope of avoiding this was whisked away, I could only train my eyes on the pupiless, brown eyes that were locked on mine.

I, took a deep breath, as the monster stopped in front of me, hands clamped at her sides, waiting to strike. What to do, what to do.

"Josie, are you ok?" There was no response from her, her frothing mouth snarled as he fists unravelled claw like nails.

I could never have been more terrified, I was able to squeak out "Josie, its me, Amalia, remember me, Josie?"

Finally, with burning furosity, she lept towards me, talons out stretched. I threw myself away, her talon caught on the back of my shirt, stripping away the fabric.

"I don't want to hurt you Josie!" I lept to my feet and circled her, her eyes locked onto me. Her breathing was heavy, dog like and merciless as she raised her hands up for another bounce. I realised I needed to take the first strike this time. I drew back my arm, with all my energy I leaped towards her and punched her as had as I could square in the face. My swing sent me spinning sideways, and after turning back, saw it had no effect. The girls head slowly turned towards me, not her breath quickening as eyes twitched. She ran towards me, grabbed me by the spongy helmet and swung me around. My feet came of the ground as I went crashing and slid acrossit. I grit my teeth as I crashed, and spat out crimson splats onto the cold floor. As soon as I turned over, the girl grabbed the front of helmet and raised me off of the ground till I was swinging from her grip, one of my eyes opened to look at the white voids of her eyes, her pupils barely visible. My eyes turned to the other children, who could be seen mouth gaped, lips quivering as terror flooded from there mouths. The girl holding my head smashed me down into the ground, red flashed before my eyes as my view flashed. She lifted me up. Growling emerged from the back of her throat like a jaguar. My limbs swung lifelessly, the helmet loosened around my chin and I dropped out of it onto the floor. I could not move, my head was busy with flashing colours.

I was able to lift my head upwards with all of my strength to meet those blank eyes once again. Then, they began to shake, as the girl grabbed her head. With a scream she dropped to her knees and shut her eyes. When she opened them, her pupils were large and her brown eyes shone with disbelief. She looked down at me with disbelief, then we both turned to see general, who had been an audience to this massacre, marching up toward us. He stopped above me and, his eyes glaring into Josies. He smirked patted her on the shoulder. Then turned around to the terrified children.

"I hope you were all watching. As much as your worthless brains cannot understand, this was an exabition. This is what we want, strong, brave and merciless. And that down there is what will happen to the week! They have no place in this world, this is a world of conflict, violence and survival." His bellowing voice echoed across the hall. His eyes looked down at me, whilst his face was still. I looked back, snarling. "Get yourself cleaned up!" With that he marched off. I lowered my head and fell into blackness.