Chapter 1- Adoption

Christchurch, New Zealand. April 2018
"Attention please girls, we have some clients here to potentially adopt!" Lucy's heard the Matron's voice over the speaker system, and she rolled off her bed, pulling on her formal uniform that was used to eliminate bias at St Mary's Christchurch Institution for Orphaned Girls. She bleakly stumbled down the hallway, towards the room that was used for meeting clients. As she passed through the doorway, she heard two British voices conversing with the Matron.
"Yeah, so we've found out we're unable to have children, so we figured we'd adopt" the voice of a young bearded man reached Lucy's ears. She wandered over to the line of girls, ranging in age from babies to 17 year olds. Lucy had accepted that she had a low chance of ever being adopted, since she wasn't the conventional description of a pretty young girl. She was skinny and lanky, tall for her age, with plain brown hair and an overly freckly face. Lucy peered over to see the clients, noticing that they could barely be more than 25 years old, young and in love. The woman glanced along the line, pausing when she reached Lucy, then turning to whisper to the man. The couple wandered over to her, smiling.
" Hey babes, how are you? I'm Freya, and this is Josh. Why don't you tell us about yourself?" The woman stuttered through this sentence, but she smiled warmly. "My name is Lucy Roberts, I'm 16 years old, and I've been in St Mary's for just over three years. My hobbies include reading, dancing, and schoolwork." Lucy drawled through the speech they were required to give to clients, then gave her sweetest smile, hoping they would move onto the younger children so she could get back to her homework. "What are your grades like in school? Are they good?" Asked the man, Josh according to Freya. "Oh, um I average A pluses in English, Social studies, and Maths, and A's in Science and Phys Ed." Josh nodded approvingly, turning to speak to Freya. They spoke in hushed tones, then turned to the Matron. "We are extremely interested in Lucy, and we would love to take her home to London with us. Where do we sign the papers?" Josh spoke in a confident voice, and the Matron smiled, happy to get rid of an older girl. Freya took Lucy's hand, and made causal small talk about how much she would like London, while Josh signed the adoption papers, then stepped forward to sign her section. Lucy was sent upstairs to collect her suitcase, and she stumbled up the stairs, shaking in disbelief. She was bundled into a car, and just like that, St Mary's was fading into the distance.