The Heart Maker

(Short story based off comic (I changed some aspects of the comic to create my own story))

"Would you like to buy a heart?" She offers the beautiful red heart around, showing the people of Bonemere all the hearts she has for sale in the small basket she carries in one arm. "I have quite a few beauties to offer." People walk by, smiling at the small girl in the red cape. Some wave, some smile, some rush past, only offering up a sharp glance as they continue on their journeys to work. She notices a man, walking past with his hands over his chest. She smiles at him, reaching out to show him the heart. "Sir!" she shouts over the sound of the traffic. He turns and smiles at her. "Would you like to buy a heart?" He approaches her, looking down at the young girl holding a heart.

"Ayanna Graytwirls," he starts, removing his hands from his chest to inspect the heart in her hands. "Nice to see you again. Say, you don't happen to repair broken hearts as well, do you?" She frowns, glancing down at the ground, suddenly shy.
"Oh no! I just sell hearts, Sir." He stands up straight, disappointed.
"I see," he looks around the street, watching the people go past. Sighing, he starts to turn away. Ayanna reaches out, placing the heart back into her basket and grabbing the man's arm. "Sir, wait." He stops, looking back at the young girl who looks at him with hope in her eyes. "If you go down that road, you'll find the Heart Maker." He focuses on her with a gleam in his eye, shifting his focus around the road quickly.
"Heart Maker?" he whispers to himself, forgetting his surroundings for a moment. Regaining his focus on her, he smiles warmly, thanking her as he turns down the road she was pointing to. She waves after him, grinning from ear to ear. A young lady approaches her and she turns, offering the heart on the top of the pile.

He continues down the bustling street, glancing from side to side at each building he passes. Finally, he comes across a compact workshop buried among the many shops selling various items. Above the door in big brass writing, "Heart Maker" is etched into old rusting metal. He smiles, opening the heavy door and glancing around the workshop.

Amid the chaos of spare parts, tools and heart pieces, a man with raven black hair leans over the old worn out table. He plays with a small heart with a missing piece, trying to fit together various pieces. His tongue sticks out the side of his mouth, his eyes concentrated on the heart through bright red glasses. A bell dings above the door but he doesn't seem to hear, placing a small tool down on the table and looking around, groping around under the desk for something. He picks up a hammer, resting the tiny handle in his hand as he sets back to work.

"Um, excuse me," the man starts and the smaller boy looks up from his project, lifting the glasses to reveal shinning green eyes. He smiles, standing to look at the new comer.
"Oh, a customer." He grins, walking towards the man. Holding out his hand, he introduces himself. "Welcome to my workshop. What can I do for you, Sir?" The man points outside, cocking his head to one side.
"A young girl told me you repair hearts?" He grins happily.
"Yep, that's what I do! Pleased to meet you, Sir. I'm the Heart Maker."
"Pleased to meet you, too. I'm Carlos Draymond." The Heart Maker smiles up at him.
"What seems to be the problem?" The man replaces his hands over his chest and breathes in, a red light shinning between his fingers. Removing them, a heart rests in the palm of his hand, cracked and bruised. The Heart Maker frowns down at it. "Oh boy, this one looks pretty damaged." The older man sighs, casting his gaze sadly to the floor.
"So you can't repair it?" The Heart Maker holds up his hands, shaking his head. He smiles sadly.
"I can... But it might take some time."
"That... might be a problem." The young boy jumps, elbowing the man jokingly.

"Are you planing on getting married?" The man's frown fades as he thinks of his fiancee, a rush of blood entering his cheeks.
"Yes, actually." Grinning, the Heart Maker continues to inspect the heart.
"Oh. Congrats!"
"However," Carlos starts and the Heart Maker looks up confused. "As the wedding grows nearer, I find this heart incapable of loving." The smaller boy frowns, taking the heart out of his hands.
"I can see how that would be a problem. Well, I suggest you leave it here a while. I can't make any promises, but I'll do my best!" Carlos thrusts out, wrapping his arms around the raven haired boy in front of him.
"That you. Please, take good care of it, Dear Heart Maker." The Heart Maker, slightly taken aback, nods. When Carlos pulls away, he smiles, nodding properly.
"Of course. I don't know when it'll be ready. Just drop by whenever it's convenient for you."
"I will."