Chapter 9: Breaking Tradition

The Adventures of Pocahontas and John Rolfe: Book II

Chapter 9: Breaking Tradition

In the early evening, Pocahontas rode Opileskiwan up the hill toward her father's house. John Rolfe followed behind her on Snow Angel's back. They had just returned from a pleasant ride through the icy forest, having crossed back over the frozen Pamunkey River. Glancing back, the Englishman noticed that the warriors appeared to be stacking massive bundles of firewood into the center of the gathering circle. Though the weather was still cool, it had finally warmed up enough for outdoor communal activities. When they reached the stable, they dismounted their horses and relieved the animals of their saddles. As Pocahontas was feeding them, John Rolfe got to work on brushing Snow Angel's beautiful white winter coat. As he ran his fingers through the fur over her back, he noticed some raised areas which he could only guess were the scars left by the abominable Thomas West. The English gentleman gritted his teeth in anger.

"What's wrong, John?" Pocahontas inquired, noticing his changed demeanor.

John Rolfe shook his head. "Nothing," he replied, not wanting to make a big deal about a thing he could not change. Then he frowned. "I was just thinking about Baron West," he admitted.

"What about him?" Pocahontas probed, curious as to what was going on in John Rolfe's mind.

He sighed. "I was just thinking... if he ever has the nerve to come back here, I am absolutely going to slaughter him. I don't care what it takes. The man was a monster long before he actually transformed into one, assuming that's what happened. I just so deeply despise him."

Pocahontas blinked at the ferocity of her beau's words. "Well, I definitely don't like him either."

"Come, see what he did to Snow Angel," the diplomat declared, beckoning her over. When she approached, he took one of her hands and directed her fingers to the raised ridges hidden beneath the mare's winter coat. "Thomas West did that with a leather whip. He ought to be flayed."

Pocahontas gasped. "That's horrible! Poor Snow Angel!"

"I know. Thanks to that brute of a baron, it's probably going to be very difficult to train the fear of Jamestown out of Snow Angel. If I was her, I would be right well terrified too!"

"Maybe if we bring Opileskiwan with us, he might make her feel safer while she's there. I did notice that she kind of hides behind him sometimes like she sees him as a protector," Pocahontas recalled. "I mean, he is a big strong stallion who Snow Angel appears to trust completely."

John Rolfe's visage brightened. "That's not a bad idea at all, using one horse to train another. In fact, it's brilliant! I'm surprised that I didn't think of it," he returned as he continued to brush the mare. Snow Angel appeared to be very much enjoying the grooming. She rested her head on the wall of the stable and released a whinnying sigh. Rolfe used his spare hand to scratch her behind the right ear. "What a sweet girl you are, Snow Angel. And so stunningly beautiful," he lauded.

"This is a completely random question, John," Pocahontas remarked, "but I'm wondering, how can you tell when a horse is pregnant? I mean what are the signs in the early stages?"

John Rolfe raised a brow. "There's no way Snow Angel can be pregnant yet, Pocahontas. Mares don't go into heat during the cold season. The reason, I presume, is because a foal's gestation is about one year in length. The winter's cold would be fatal to a newborn foal," he explained.

"Ah," Pocahontas replied, stroking Opileskiwan's neck as he chewed on his hay.

John Rolfe grinned. "If she's going to get pregnant at all, it'll probably be later this spring. Do you really want a foal that badly, Pocahontas?" the gentleman inquired teasingly.