//1//

Chapter Øne

//

Tyler opens his eyes to reveal several metal bars. He's trapped in a cage. Although he has woken up like this countless times, he would never get used to these mornings. To Tyler's dismay, he had been counting the days. Three shy of a year. He felt the classic markings on the wall would be the perfect way to keep track. Good thing he somehow remembered to start counting the night he arrived at the prison.

Like many mornings, his waking thought was of Josh. They had been partners in crime for several years, not to mention lovers. Tyler recalls the night he had met Josh. He was going house to house looking for valuables; something he liked to do in his free time. Tyler had caught him snatching his father's gold and watches from the safe. Somehow, Josh accomplished the feat of intriguing the boy; not only was Tyler interested in Josh but his lifestyle as well. Not long after that, Josh would take Tyler along with him. Every crime Josh would normally commit on his own, would be with Tyler. They were partners through thick and thin.

Tyler's lungs fill with self-hatred as he remembers the day he got himself and his beloved caught. If only he would've been quicker. If only he wouldn't have let his victims get away; long enough to contact the police at least. Yes, if all of that never happened, he would be with Josh right now.

Even after all this time his throat still burns with anger and regret. He knows this is all his fault, and he'll never learn to deal with the guilt. It'll eat him up inside until there's nothing left to feed on.

He and Josh had been ransacking a considerably rich family's house when they came home unexpectedly one night. In the panic, Tyler and Josh planned to hide until the family was inside and then sneak out the front door. Tyler was hiding in the corner of the living room when he tripped over the coffee table laying roughly a foot away from him. He tried to muffle the noise, but a grunt in pain was all it took to send chaos raging through the large house. Screams and curses from Josh filled the room. They began to fight. Tyler still felt uncomfortable with murder, but if it meant he and Josh would get away, he would have to fight with his life.

Neither Tyler nor Josh have ever had to fight so unprepared and unexpectedly like this. Every murder before has been very carefully planned out. When the seemingly last body fell to the ground Tyler sighed with relief. That sigh was quickly sucked out of his lungs when he spotted a middle-aged woman that he assumed to be the family's mother calling the police. Josh took her out effortlessly.

Tyler and Josh both hoped that it wasn't too late. There's no way they could escape if the police were coming. Unfortunately, they hadn't been so lucky this time, and in less than a moment's time, they were surrounded by the police, banging on the fancy door of the house. Tyler's head was spinning. Everything was happening far too quickly. Two hands on his shoulders shook him back to reality. "Tyler, Baby," Josh said with wide eyes. "We're going to prison. I love you so, so, so much, and I promise-" He was interrupted by the policemen starting to break down the door. Josh talked faster. "I promise I'll come get you-" His voice was a whisper now. Strong and brave. "-Wherever they send you. I've been at it longer. They'll send me somewhere with higher security, Ty."

And he was right. Tyler went to the Columbus Correctional Institution while Josh was sent to a higher-level prison in New York. "Stay put and be good." He continued, almost rambling. "I'll come get you. I will." He and Tyler sat in silence for a few moments until Tyler's instincts kicked in. He realized the weight of this situation and, he clung to Josh. He hugged him tighter than he ever had before. "I love you" Tyler told him; and those words have never had more meaning than they did in this moment. Josh's eyes welled with tears as he kissed his boy goodbye.

They were interrupted as they heard the police finally wear down the door. The loud noise of wood cracking and falling to the ground startled them both. Flashlights caught Tyler's eyes. Like a deer in headlights, he was frozen. Seconds later, he and his lover were pulled apart and knocked to the ground with unbelievable force. The last thing he remembers is flashing blue and red lights before he was hastily thrown into his cell.

The sound of guards shouting like drill sergeants brought Tyler back to present day. "Up and at 'em scumbags! It's breakfast time! Come get your slop!" Several guards exclaimed with joy.

They really despise us with a passion, don't they? Tyler thought with a groan.

//