Chapter One

I stood in front of the floor length mirror. I turned left and right, judging how good the dress would actually look once I was at school. I always did this. Gave myself a pep talk in the mirror. "You look good, your smarts are fine, and you'll get your education, then a job, then finally Daddy can rest in peace when you re-buy the restaurant.", I said softly. My old ambition flame had been dulled significantly ever since the whole Charlotte LaBouf Debacle. I thought she was my friend. I should have known better. She’s was a fashionable wolf in a flamboyant pink sheep’s clothing. She had been sweet at first. What we had….it was love. Me and Naveen. I was so upset when he announced that he was in love with her.

        They took everything. My eyes teared up thinking about it. "Are you ready for school yet?", my mom yelled up the stairs softly. I bit my lip. "Mom?", I asked, going to the landing at the top of the stairs. "Yeah?", she asked back. I walked down the stairs. "Mom? What if they don't like me?", I ask her. She smiles sadly. She crosses the room and cups my face in her hands. "Honey, they will. You're an intelligent 19-year-old woman who's going to PACE.”, she says chuckling. “Thanks, Mom.", I said. She smiled. “Anytime. You call me when you get there.”, she said strictly. I laughed.

        "You gonna do good dearie! Just you see!", Mama Odie called from the dining table. "Thanks Mama Odie. I hope so.", I said. Louis came through the open door. “Everything's packed.", he announced. I took a deep breath and hugged my mom. "Bye, baby.", she said. "Love you mom.", I said sniffling. I stepped back to kiss Mama Odie on the forehead. She smiled at me and wished me luck. I patted Juju on the head and turned to Louis. He got teary-eyed and crushed me in a proclaimed  “gator” hug. 

        I smiled and patted his back. He let me go and I picked up my suitcase. I took another deep breath and began my long trek to New York City.

                                                                        ★ ❤︎ ★ 

        It was maybe 11:30 P.M. that I got my first real welcome to New York. It was by the girl in the room next to me. It started with a boy though. He was tumbling drunkedly around. He laughed and said, "Hi...Oh hi....Hi." I smiled encouragingly. "Hi. I'm Tiana.", I said, holding out my hand. He smiled at me, his eyes glazed over from alcohol. His blond hair fell over his face as he grimaced. I looked at him, confused. He opened the door to his room and puked into a trash can. Just then, a small dark-skinned girl walked around the corner. “Oh, god. You reek Phoebus.”, she said to the boy. I smiled at her and held out my hand. “Hi! I’m Tiana.”, I said. She crinkled her nose at me. “So?”, she said snootily before pushing the boy in the room and slamming the door. “Wow. That was rude.”, I said to no one in particular. A snort sounded from my right. I turned and saw a redhead with bright green eyes. “Yeah.”, she snorted. “Welcome to New York.”

Real short, I know. Sorry. I'll work on that. :} Anywaaayyy...Um. Yea.