Chapter Two

“Hi. I’m Tiana.”, I said to her. “Congratulations. I’m Ariel.”, she said yawning. “Hi.”, I said again. “You said that already.”, she said, turning back into her room. She slammed her door and I noticed it was decorated nicely. A nice ocean blue, with wave designs on it. The word Ariel was painted on the door in white. The whole thing was very artistic. I admired it for a second more before I went into my very un-customized room. I wondered slightly however, all these kids were already settled in. I looked around my room and sighed. 

I guess I’d have to move in all the boxes by myself. I looked at the boxes outside my door. I took a deep breath. “Tomorrow.”, I promised myself. I sat down on the rickety old bed. I looked around the room one more time. I considered changing my clothes. I decided not to and laid down. It was maybe three minutes before I changed my mind. I dragged all seven heavy-ass boxes into my room. I opened the one marked clothes and pulled out a pair of pajamas. Well, a tank top that declared I was a princess in green sparkly print. I got it as a joke awhile back. It made me tear up a little. Every time I remembered that I was just an ordinary girl now, it made me want to bawl uncontrollably. I decided to wear it anyway. I also put on a pair of green plaid shorts. I walked over to the small bathroom and put on my pj’s. I tried to look in the mirror and saw an African-American girl with a wobbly smile. 

I took a deep breath to prevent the tears from spilling. “You’re over him. You are, Tiana.”, I say to myself.  “You’re better than both of them.” I smile at the girl in the mirror and try to adjust here. I can be a college student. I can. I just have to get used to it.  I walked back out and into the bedroom area. I dug through the clothes box a little more and found my comforter. I laid down on the bed, wrapping my comforter around me. I settled into the warmth and yawned. “Tomorrow.”, I said quietly. “Tomorrow things will be better.”

★ ❤︎ ★

A knocking on the door woke me up. “Hello! Anyone home?”, they called over and over again. “Yes! Please quit your incessant knocking.”, I yelled, already angry. Sighing I thrusted off the cover and stomped over to the door. “What?!?”, I yelled, shoving the door open. I yelped when it almost hit him. But, he dodged it easily and caught it before it could hit the wall. I placed a hand over my heart. “Jeez. You need anger management.”, he said jokingly. “I’m so sorry!”, I started. He cut me off with a wave of his hand. “I’m worse when I’m woken up. Trust me.”, he said laughingly. I giggled. “But, I wanted to see if you had signed the student register.”, he said seriously. He showed me a clipboard filled with other students names. 

        I asked him, "Where do I sign?" He points to a blank spot next to the names Ariel, Pocahontas, and Esmeralda. Taking the pen from his outstrecthed hand, I write my name. "Tiana? That's...unique.", he says, reading my name. I nod. "What's your name?", I ask him, taking time to look at his features. "Call me Shang.", he declared. I took in the camoflauge shirt and combat boots peeking out. "Okay.", I say, unsure of what to say past that. "I gotta go, but you should check out campus!", he suggests before running down the hallway.