Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Napier and Bree eventually retired to his home and celebrated some more after the party. He had started a conversation about what they had discovered, but she had distracted him and promised to give the problem her full attention the next day. As she lay in the warm bed beside her man, she tried to think about the dilemma which she now faced. Finally, she fell into a fitful sleep after realising that the decision had to be made by both her and Napier.

In the morning Napier looked at Bree's beautiful unblemished face and asked the question "What are you going to do?"

She told him that the decision had to be made by both of them. She felt a duty or a calling to go with the troops to Dark city but that her love for Napier was also important. They were facing the extinction of mankind he told her laughing, so it was very important that they had a proper discussion.

On the first night that they had spent together Napier had learnt Bree's secret. She was not covered in an attempt to hide her scars, she was hiding her perfection. She had never caught the plague and she was unblemished as a result. Her aunt Vicky had anticipated problems should it become known that she was without scars. Someone would want a pretty girl like her as their property.

The only person who had seen her without her hood was Frankie. She had feared for her life when she had stabbed him, but with hindsight his knowledge of her secret had contributed to her decision to lash out. No one had seen her face, apart from Vicky, for over five years. The boy who had captured and assaulted her had never been interested in her enough to find out what she looked like.

She had long blonde hair and cornflower blue eyes. Her skin was understandably pale having not been exposed to the sun. There was a slight difference to the colour around her eyes where the sun's rays had found their way to the only part of her which was not covered. Bree spent most of her time at Napier's home now where she could be with him and without her hood.

So, she had learned that she was an immune and that there were others across the country like her. Bree had not met Cassie, but she was keen to meet another person who had no scars. She anticipated swapping stories of the experiences that they had gone through and how it had affected this other girl's life.

As they talked it became clear that Bree had to go to Dark City. She loved Napier, but the situation called for personal sacrifice. Nothing was more important than ensuring the continuation of the human race. Napier put up no objections as they faced the uncomfortable reality of what Bree must do. She didn't actually say that she was going and he didn't demand an answer. They both knew a decision had been made.

Bree was as usual guided by her instincts and they were screaming at her that this was something she must do. She knew that she loved Napier and she was surprised at how determined she was to go to Dark City even if that meant leaving him behind. It was like a magnet was pulling her towards this new destiny and she neither wished nor was able to stop it.

It was a strange feeling. Bree 's heart was breaking at the thought of leaving Napier, but she knew that something even greater awaited her. Since Cassie had been brought back after the battle with the raiders, she had been aware of her presence in some indefinable way. There was something that linked her to her fellow immune and she wondered what it would be like when there were even more people like her in one place.

Napier knew deep down that Bree had to go with the troops. He had seen the children being born and then a few years later he had watched some of them die. They were right to be worried about future generations and Bree had to play her part. He had to make a decision which would not just affect him it would also affect the villagers. Should he go with Bree or should he stay with the community that he had led for so long?