( 0. DARK PLACES. )

❛ — I became someone else because I had to be

❛ — I became someone else because I had to be. ❜ 

. . .

 in which the woman who took phil brooks' torture pictures for evidence is the new medical examiner for the FBI, and more importantly — worked her way back into luke alvez's heart all over again.

. . .

jupiter newton is in disbelief of karma. no matter how much good she does, she finds herself getting screwed over. her dad left her mom, her mom told a lie to make him seem more like a hero. she tries to save a life, another one gets lost in return. the world hasn't been exactly kind to her and her two sisters, but then again, she's too busy trying to shelter them from the blows of that bad karma.

she thought her luck was changing when the world brought her luke alvez — an army ranger who seemed too good to be true, but he was hers. she remembers the way he laughed, early morning runs, and his smile like the sun. she remembers how he takes his coffee and his eggs, the way his fingers slipped comfortably into hers. or the way they did until he disappeared when war called his name. luke alvez disappeared without a trace and without an explanation. 

her prayers of good wishes are answered when she sees luke alvez in the hospital next to his partner, Phil, who narrowly escaped Daniel Cullen, "The Crimson King", but not without the permanent reminder of his scars and the fact that he was now paralyzed. and that was the last time she willingly saw luke alvez, from behind a camera lens.

now, he's back in her life, but that's only because they share a job and an office space — and she doesn't know what's worse: having to look out for him or having him in her space and trying not to fall for him all over again.

because after all — he's still her luke. and no one knows her better or who she really is than him.

. . .

CAST

aja naomi king as LILIANA 'JUPITER' NEWTON

adam rodriguez as LUKE ALVEZ.

. . .

amber riley as RHEA NEWTON. 

skye jackson as VENUS LAYTON.

danai gurira as PEYTON NEWTON.

viola davis as MICHELLE LAYTON.

idris elba as BENJAMIN NEWTON.

criminal minds cast as THEIR RESPECTIVE CHARACTERS.

anabelle acosta as ROSALIE SALVATORE-MORGAN.

samuel l. jackson as NICHOLAS "GRAMPS" LAYTON.

· · ·

WARNING & DISCLAIMER

this story may include violence, death, controversial topics such as immigration, religion, sexuality, discrimination, and the like. topics such as murder and molestation as well as other illegal behaviors may also arise. read with caution.

I also do not own Criminal Minds, as that is owned by CBS and Jeff Davis. I just own the plot and any additional characters, crimes, and added plot details.

this novel will begin in season twelve, shortly after luke arrives with the team with some flashbacks to events occurring before season twelve.

also, i am an african-american woman, so, i don't want to present any topics in error, so in case i do, let me know. this book is also a sort of sequel to my previous criminal minds book, Pray for Me, although you do not have to read it beforehand to understand.

· · ·

dedicated to yoassbutt as well as my wife drxcarys. and to anyone else who loves criminal minds as much as I do!