Prelude

The neon blue lights flicker vibrantly, continuously flashing on and flashing off again as if they were a song on repeat, leaving me in a daze. Seized by the influence of the drink currently spilling all over my red heels, I let him hold me, swaying to the basic pop song.

With my head resting on his shoulder, I spot another familiar brunette on the other side of the room. Of course near the kitchen, specifically yet not surprisingly, standing in front of the fridge.

He can't do this to me, I can see his judgement in his eyes. I won't put up with it anymore. I'm sick of this guilt.

It may be the sudden confidence, due to many alcoholic beverages I've drunk tonight, but I squeeze my way out of the arms gently holding me, and clamber my way over to the brown-haired male, ignoring the protests from behind.

He places his beer can on the marble breakfast bar as he sees me.

"Well, well, well. Isn't it the alluring Novaline Miller at once again, another party. That's quite the shocker". He says demonstrating a sardonic facial expression.

"You need to stop, I don't like this". I retaliate, taking a swing of my drink shortly after, slightly missing my mouth.

"Don't like what, Novaline?" He takes a step closer and I hesitantly stand still, trying not to let my guard down. "You brought this on yourself".

My head is pounding, as if there was an earthquake in my mind.

"You shouldn't be here" He continues, walking further forward.

My vision is blurry, floating left to right. The neon lights have transformed into a constant stream, all blue, everything's tinted blue.

"You have some assertiveness showing up tonight". Another step, another foot closer.

I rub my eyes, scrunching up my face in confusion. What does assertiveness mean, it's too late for big words like that. What is the time? I need my phone.

I reach to my pocket and pull out the device. Squinting my eyes, adjusting to the brightness level, it reads; 1:24 AM. I should probably call Dash to pick me up as I do have work tomorrow, I think. I rack my brain attempting to remember my 6-digit passcode, only to give up in a heap.

"Do you know my passcode?" I deliriously ask the teenager who has been glaring me down the last minute. His face changes, developing from irritated to confused.

"Why would I know your passcode? Just because I was your boyfriend, doesn't mean I would invade your privacy like that". He rationalises, standing a meer foot away.

"Oh yeah, totally. You w-would never, ever invade my privacy, right?" I mock him, rolling my eyes at his suggestion. What a dork.

He glares at me again, but reaches for my phone. No, not my phone!

I snatch my hand behind my back. "Novaline, you say you want me to help with your passcode, then you hide your phone from me. What do you want?" He remarks, pointing out the obvious flaw in my plan.

"I'm sorr-rry that I'm too dumb for you right now" He has some nerve to act this way. Nevertheless, he has a point so I give him my phone.

He shakes his head and grabs my hand, "hey get off!" I reply to his sudden movement. I'm going to get infected by his loserness.

"I know it hard to believe, but all you need to do is put your thumb here". He places my thumb my the home button and it unlocks. Oh.

"Oh" I snatch my phone back, I ain't falling for his tricks again. "Thanks, I guess". My eyes narrow at the brunette, how did things end up this way?

"No worries, next time I'm not helping though". He swiftly turns, roughly grabs his drink and walks out of kitchen.

As I attempt to press on Dash's number a few times, I come to the only conclusion my drunken mind can; no worries, next time I won't need your help.