Chapter 3

Recess: School's Out (2001)

Have you ever heard of an old Disney cartoon called Recess?

This used to be one of the only shows that my brother and I would agree on watching. And if you have a sibling, then you can understand the struggle to compromise or the sharing of the remote!!

The show is basically about a group of 10 year olds having adventures during school. I was pretty confused as to how this movie ties up since it was summer break.

BUT SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED...

Did you ever realise that the biggest recess there is, is summer break!! It took me a while to connect those dots, I'm pretty sleep deprived.

Once summer starts TJ quickly realises that all his friends are going to be gone to summer camp. He'll be all alone! I found that pretty relateble. My friend's would always go away for the holidays while I was stuck at home because my parents had to work.

I think we can all agree that when the holidays start, none of us are really bothered to know what happens to our school while we are away. This time it turns out that there's a group of people who are working towards eliminating recess for good!

The evil ex-principal/ ex-hippie tries to alter the weather pattern with a laser, which will create a PERMANENT WINTER!! NO SUMMER!!

TJ blackmails his older sister into driving him around the country in order to coerce his friends (to waste all money their parents spent on the summer camp) to return home, and fight the evil.

Real dramatic. How do they fight this evil force? With violence! And also getting the rest of the students and teachers to return from their vacations to FIGHT.

Thank you Disney for helping us learn that the only way to win a disagreement is with violence, pranks and pretty much luck. Or just bribe your way through life like TJ did.

But Disney did highlight an important issue, something that not many of us realise... Our childhood is precious. We should  enjoy it while it lasts and make good memories.

For some of us, our childhood is over. But that doesn't mean we can't still enjoy where we are right now in our lives! Always make things memorable, preferably for the good reasons!! And if you are missing a little bit of your childhood then go through your old albums, talk to your childhood friends or simply watch one of your favourite movies from when you were a kid!