Chapter 9

Charlie's Point of View:

I put my headphones in and started walking towards the grocery store near my apartment building.  It was only a few blocks, but it was getting cold out and I wasn't prepared for the weather.  I zipped my hoodie up as far as I could and put the the hood over my head, but the cold wind ripped through the thin fabric.  I walked quickly to get out of the cold and tried to concentrate on the music flowing through my ears rather than what was going on in my life.  As the song ended I waited to see what was next.

"You're insecure, don't know what for."  I scoffed as I quickly pulled out my iPhone to change the song.

"Why do I even have this stupid song?"  I mumbled to myself.  After walking another two blocks I finally arrived at my destination.  I pulled on door handle and walked straight to the back room.  I put on the apron and name tag I had to wear everyday.  "I hate this fucking job."  I mumbled, pulling out my headphones and putting my phone in my back pocket.  I plastered on the most convincing fake smile I could and walked to my station.  The check out counter.  I caught my reflection in the window as I waited for someone to come check out at my register.  If you didn't know me, my fake smile would be quite convincing.  I had already been spoken to twice about my "attitude," so I made sure always looked as happy as I could.  

"Hello dear."  And elderly woman said as she placed the few groceries she had on the conveyer belt.

"Hello ma'am, how are you today?"  I asked.  I almost convinced myself I was cheerful with my wide smile and upbeat tone.

"Oh I'm just fine, thank you and yourself?"  She replied in her shaky little old lady voice.  Just fucking peachy.  I thought to myself.  My job sucks, I have no friends and my love life is a fucking mess, oh, and I have to cut myself to get through it all.

"Absolutely wonderful."  I lied, smiling and handing her her bag of groceries.  "Have a lovely day."  I said and she smiled back before leaving the store.  That was my life now.  Checking and bagging groceries.  To be honest this shitty job was the highlight of my life at the moment.  When I was doing this I was probably sitting around my flat wishing things were different.  Wishing I was still friends with boys, wishing I had friends at all, wishing I wasn't so sad all the time, and, most of all, wishing I could see Harry.

After hours of scanning groceries it was finally the end of my shift.  I just had to take care of the rest of the people in line and I was done.  It was getting harder and harder to keep a happy face, but I did it.  "You have a great day."  I said to the middle aged man I was helping.  The last customer of the day.  I let out a sigh of relief, closed my register, and headed towards the back room.  I hung up my apron and put my sweatshirt back on.  I turned around to walk out, but I ran right into who ever was standing behind me.  Of corse, I couldn't get out of here without something going wrong.

"Sorry about that."  I mumbled.

"Oh don't worry about it."  The guy said, looking down at me.  He seemed about my age.  He was tall, he had shaggy blonde hair that fell in front of his face and big brown eyes.  His white teeth practically sparkled when he smiled and I couldn't help but notice the, dare I say, adorable freckles across the bridge of his nose.  "I'm Nick."  He said, extending his hand and waiting for me to shake it.

"Charlotte."  I said, accepting his hand in mine.  Charlotte?  Your name is Charlie.  The voice in my head questioned me.  The only reason I had been going by Charlotte was so Harry wouldn't recognize me, but I hated that name.  I hated myself for this, but it was the truth, I didn't want him to call me Charlie because that's what Harry called me.