Feelings

"I've seen that look before, Elena. You like him, dont you?"

Elena flinched and turned to see her Abuela, who had managed to sneak up to her without her notice. Or, maybe she would have noticed, if she hadn't been so focused on Gabe and Isabel. The two had been playing in the Courtyard all morning, and it had been the first time Elena had seen Isabel smile and laugh in a while. Gabe seemed to just have that charm. To make Isabel smile when no one else could.

"What do you mean?" Elena asked her Abuela, as she moved to the left to give her room to sit.

"Your mother had the same look in her eyes when she met your father," Luisa recalled, a smile creeping up on her face, "You should tell him."

"Tell him what?"
"That you want to marry him."

"Abuela!" Elena exclaimed, laughing a little before her happy demeanour turned into a frown. "Even if I did tell him, it wouldn't work," Elena sighed, her eyes trained on the ground. She looked up only once to see Gabe lift Isabel onto his shoulders as she giggled happily before the two zoomed around the Courtyard.

"But why not, Elena?" Luisa asked, knowing the answer Elena would give, as Lucia gave the same answer once long ago.

"Because. I'm Royalty, he's not. Not that it matters but, you know. It's just, hard for the both of us," Elena sighed, her eyes now focused on her Abuela, hoping she'd give her some support.

"Your mother said the same thing once. I can't marry Raul because he's Royalty and I'm not. But she did marry him, and not long after they had you and Isabel," Luisa explained with a smile, "So you see, Elena, it will work, as long as you two make it work."

Luisa stroked Elena's cheek before standing up and calling Isabel inside to finish her schoolwork. Elena thought about what her Abuela said and suddenly, she felt herself standing and walking over to Gabe, who was getting ready to head home for the day. As she got closer, her heartbeat began increasing rapidly. She grew more nervous with every step. She had to tell him though. It was now or never.

"Princess Elena," Gabe smiled as Elena stopped beside him.

"Gabe, I uh, I need to talk to you."