Chapter 8 : Love the Way You Lie

Weeks passed, and Hermione had many things to do. She spent most of her free time studying - and the rest of it with Draco. It was difficult, she had to admit. Keeping it secret and balancing time. But it was better that way, especially since Harry did not stop accusing Draco to be a Death Eater. No matter what they were talking about, Harry took the chance to insult and blame him for everything that went wrong in the castle. It was exhausting. Even now after dinner, Hermione was reading the Daily Prophet, he was eager to hear about the house search at Malfoy Manor. She did her best to defend Draco without attracting attention, but he did not listen. Ron - as much as he despised Draco - defended him, too. She told the boys she was tired and left to go to bed... or rather to send Draco a message. She had created an advanced version of the coins she had jinxed for Dumbledore's Army last year - two pieces of parchment, connected to each other. You could write on it, the other person would read it - and then the words vanished. It was brilliant and made hiding way easier.
She swiftly wrote a message and saw it disappear. No time to waste. She carefully ran to their usual place on the seventh floor. It was exactly where they needed to be, she thought of it on a rainy night with him in the library while they had to sit several chairs apart.

The Room of Requirement was as helpful as ever. Candles were lit on the floor, there was a soft sofa in the centre. Behind it was a large cupboard full of books since they both enjoyed reading together. It was a small and cosy room - exactly what they needed. She sat there for a while, reading something about the History of Hogsmeade when he entered the room. He looked like he had just taken a shower, his hair rumpled and gel-free. Would he ever fail to amaze her? Probably not.
He sat down next to her and pulled her in a hug. They simply sat like that for minutes or hours, nobody knew.

„How was your day?", he whispered gently into her ear.

„Exhausting", she admitted.

„Do you want to talk about it?"

She thought about it for a second. Did she want to tell him about Harry's accusations? No, never.

„No," she snuggled into him.

They were silent again. It was a pleasant silence. There was no need for words. He did not push her, that was one of the things she loved about him. All of this was so weird, she still was not used to it. Yet it felt so right.

„I'm glad you're here," she said.

„Of course I am."

He turned to kiss her. It was not as eagerly as their previous kisses, it was gentle and tender. A kiss people kissed when they had all the time in the world. It was a comfortable little bubble. But it was still a bubble.

„Do you want to go somewhere with me tomorrow?", she asked carefully.

They would go to Hogsmeade the next day.

"Mione... we can't be seen together in public, you know why.", he brushed her back. It sounded like there was a real pity in his voice.

"But...nobody has to see us. We could meet at the Hog's Head."

"The walls have eyes and you know it. I don't like it either, but that's how it is", she felt him shrug behind her back. And he tensed somehow.

"Is everything alright?", she faced him. His eyes were unusually dark.

"Sure. It's just... frustrating how difficult all of this is. It shouldn't be."

They both fell silent. 

"Have you heard something from your mother? Is she alright ?"

He scrubbed the back of his head and sighed.