Prologue

Six years ago, a mother dragon with scales the color of a deep shamrock leaf rushed through the forest. She held a cute and little egg in an interlaced plant pouch, the shell shimmering in the sun that cut through the trees on this hot day. This egg held her dragonet, and it was cracking, the little one wanting to come out into the sunlight as it called it's very soul to come out. "Not now little one!" She whispered to it in a panicked state as she still ran through the flora, some evil is chasing her. Wicked dragons she hadn't seen ever but wanted her head. They had vicious looking tails with barbs at the end and scales the color of sand. She regretted every minute of coming to this new island, she was constantly hunted, only once finding a dragon who cared for her. A friendly one with scales that shifted colors and had a silly lazy way of life. She fell for him and lived a happy life for a little while, but now he was dead, the sand dragons took his life while he stalled to save them both, but they were now hot on her tail, and she didn't have much time left.

   She dove into a heavy covering of bushes when they lost sight of her, and she skulked there, blending into the environment with the help of her green leafy scales. She looked at the egg that cracked more violently now, the dragonet wanting to escape so badly now, and with a last semi loud snap, a teeny head that was fern colored poked into view and looked into his mother's eyes. She had to hold in tears as the dragonet chirped happily and his scales shifted to brighter lime green.

   He was a hybrid, and looked mostly like his mother, with the exception of his dad's snout horn, frills, and fangs. He crawled and scraped out his shell some more as his mother backed away, now sobbing silently as she looked at his leaf wings and tail shaped like a well-known plant. "Y-you'll be Peppermint. My... my little mint leaf." He chirped in reply loudly, and his mother could hear the dragons after her now running in her direction. "Goodbye.. Mint... I love you... Always will." And with that, she jumped from the bushes and ran in a direction, the troop of evil murderous ones soon chasing her, and not noticing the small dragonet looking around confused as his mother left him. But the words "Peppermint" would never leave his mind.

   A whole six years ago, a father skywing of wine colored scales entered a cave with his egg. It was dawn, and it was time. Traveled this cave as far and deep as he could go, looking at the shifting egg shine rose red with hints of blue with a large frown. When he reached the end he put it down on a rocky ledge and stared at it, he made it, and it was completely against the rules. He became partners with a hot head icewing once when he was captured. She let him go on the promise they'd meet in secret, herself finding his personality charming. Now they had a dragonet, and it was a hybrid. Either tribe would smash it, so they both unanimously agreed to leave it somewhere. As he thought about considering and taking it back and maybe if it looked enough like one race without showing too much of the other they could keep it, he was too distracted to see the egg wobble and shake more, a single crack going down the middle before the shell exploded. It sent shattered pieces in every direction as the dragonet loudly for her size roared.

   The father jumped back startled, noting his little dragon was strong, and... looked exactly like an icewing if not for her colors being a bright cherry red with a blazing carrot secondary. He smiled sadly and look away, holding back a tear as he didn't want to see his strong daughter anymore. The dragonet made an annoyed cry, and scamped on wobbly legs towards her dad, sliding down the ledge and getting closer while calling for his attention. He held a paw out and pushed her away, but quickly withdrew his paw and screamed as his paw burned in agony. Now he felt terror, a firescales.

He couldn't take it, and turned and fled as fast he could, leaving his daughter without a name alone in the cave. She sat there, tilting her head as steam lifted off her body, the temperature cooling down. Little did her dad know, or ever would, his child could control her fire, the ice keeping it in check, but now, it was too late, and he was gone.

   Six full years ago, it was a silent night. I dark night. None of the three moons were near being open, and all that shone was the stars. There was an egg to, hidden in the darkness and half buried on the shore of a beach, the water lapping at the deep blue home that kept the dragon inside it safe. The gentle waves that hit it over and over coaxed the child, and it scritched and scratched at the inside of its prison. This egg was abandoned, not left by accident, or dropped as a mistake, but let alone to get eaten or crushed. Neither parents wanting anything to do with it, nor each other, and so this dragon wouldn't even get the courtesy of seeing its parents face.

   Finally though, after a long heavy effort attempt, the dragonet broke free. It was a girl, and her head had a little lantern dangling from her head crests, in which it gave light that ate the darkness away. Her scales were a pretty butterscotch, with little dots of illuminating blue, including the orb that hung above her snout.

   She let out a small "Bree?" into the darkness as she crawled out from her shell onto the wet yet comforting sand. She felt it between her webbed paws and looked around wondering what in the world was this dark place. She felt scared, and curled up right there with a last sad "Meerple.." and closed her eyes, the lantern starting to get dimmer as sleep took her. She was part sandwing and part seawing, but for a long time, she was just. Alone.