TWELVE l the life of coventina

"B-b-b-be careful making wishes in the dark, dark, can't be sure when they've hit their mark; I'm in the de-details with the devil so now the world can never get me on my level. I just gotta get you off the cage, I'm a young lover's rage, gonna need a spark to ignite. My songs know what you did in the dark. So light 'em up." - Fall Out Boy, [My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark]

Ignoring Peter Pan was easier said than done. 

"Caitlin," Coventina crossed her arms, looking partly amused and partly stern, an expression she wore strangely on her usually smiling face. "Camping out in the forest isn't going to solve anything between you and him. Can you just talk to him?"

"I think I'll pass," I muttered, blinking hard as Coventina dragged me out of the tent toward the sun. "Jeez, when did it get so bright? It's like, December."

"Peter controls the weather," Coventina grinned at my eye-roll. "I don't understand why you're mad at him. Is it about Wendy? For the record, I totally anchor you and Peter, not Peter and Wendy. So if you're mad at me because it kinda seemed like I didn't before, then I'm sorry! You're totally right, they're time is over, but now I really think he likes you!"

I blinked as she looked up at me earnestly, nervously playing with her blonde hair. "Coventina... I'm not mad at you, I just don't want to talk to Peter right now. And... why the hell are you crying?"

"I'm just glad you're not mad at me! I've been worried this whole week when you didn't show up at Peter's camp and Tiger Lily yelled at me." Coventina let out a great sniff before throwing her arms around me, hugging me hard. "Come back to camp please? Tiger Lily scares me."

I patted her head for a brief second before pulling away, "I just don't want to see Peter right now. Maybe later, when I get my thoughts together. And besides, he doesn't know where I am. I want to keep it that way as long as I can before the jig is up."

Coventina looked at me dubiously before giggling, rubbing her eyes. "Of course Peter knows where you are! He specializes in finding the lost. If Tiger Lily hadn't threatened him and shoved a knife to his throat, you'd be back at camp right now."

"And I'm guessing he sent you to talk some sense into me since Tiger Lily has her eye on him?" I huffed as she nodded, beaming proudly.

"I think I'm doing well so far! Do you want to come back to camp?"

"No," I said bluntly and she visibly deflated. Allowing the guilt to take over for a slight second, I sighed. "But I'll do anything else. Do you want me to hang out? As long as it's nowhere near Peter, we can have a girl's night."

She chewed her lip, obviously torn between following Peter's orders and spending time. I raised an eyebrow, checking my breath in my hand before grabbing a salt bowl. "Fine. Guess what I have?"

"What?" I smiled, glad she dropped the subject as she pulled me to my feet. 

"I have a date with Poseidon tonight," she sang, twirling around in the mossy grass, bare feet avoiding the dirt as she skipped onto the grass. "He's the hottest guy to swim the seas of the Neveroceans. And he asked me out yesterday."

"That's great!" I laughed at her enthusiasm as she flopped against the trunk of a tree, the mossy green cushioning her fall. 

"You need to help me get ready!" She grabbed my hands, beaming. "That's my deal. Either that or I'll drag you to Peter. Deal?"

"Fine," I muttered, good spirits diminishing. "But I hate fashion. And make-up. So don't expect me to be much help."

"Don't worry," Coventina brightened, handing me a bracelet made of sea-shells. I raised an eyebrow, fingering the delicate accessory. "Wear that. It'll help you breath under water."