𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

𝐄𝐥𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

"What?"

"Marry me?" He said, the beat of his heart was the only noise he could hear.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

It was the only thing drowning out the silence.

"Listen, alright? I look at you and wonder out of all the faces in the world how did I find someone that was so perfect for me. There's just something about you that I'm scared to lose because I know I won't find it in anyone else." He laughed as his eyes filled with tears. He opened the small box that he begged Arthur to fetch for him, and there it was. The ring that had been enclosed in a small velvet box for the past six years.

Evelyn raised a shaky hand that was drowning in the sleeve of Michaels jumper to cover her smile. Emotions came to her mind like the waves meeting the land. Exhilaration. Fear. Elation.

"So, I figured that this is as good a place as any to ask you this question. Some people love someone because they make them a better person but that's not why I love you. I love you...because...because you've always just wanted me to be myself. You're my favourite person in the whole world. And we're a big deal, you know, like no matter how many times we've tried to put our thing down and walk away from it, we can't because, I don't want to live my life without you. And I normally say a lot of words when I'm saying something negative so since this is the positive thing I'm ever gonna do, I'm gonna keep it simple. Evelyn Anna Victoria Allen, will you marry me?"

A tear trickled down her face.

Evelyn moved her head closer to Michael. He sat frozen, from both fear and excitement. She leaned in, so her forehead rested against his. They closes their eyes. Both their breaths shaking.

"Yes..."

She gently leaned in and kissed his warms lips. They pulled apart and took shaky, shallow breaths. Unable to contain themselves anymore, Michael held Evelyns head in his hands and pulled her into a fiery and passionate kiss.

However, it soon was interrupted due to there laughing. Giggling to themselves ignoring everything around them. Nothing could ruin the moment.

"Mummy?"

They turned there heads to spy Rosie Allen-Gray looking at them with a look. A look that held pure innocence and curiosity.

"Yes darling?" Evelyn smiled as she looked upon her daughter.

"Are you and daddy getting married?" She laughed, crawling into the bed between the two.

"Yes we are." She laughed as Michael kissed his daughters forehead before kissing his fiancé.

"I love you..." He murmured against her lips

"I love you too..." She breathed, releasing a shaky laugh. Smiling as the tears once again began to build in her eyes and bleed down her cheeks.

And that was how it happened. As the orange gold of the sky stretched far and wide, like the colour of fire...scarlett and apricot. That Michael Gray made a promise. Like the promise of the rising sun that comes after the velvety night has had its say and the land has rested once more. He promised to love her with every piece of his being until the day he died.

...

The bed was soft and warm the following morning. Evelyn could feel his arm draped over her, more comforting that any blanket she had ever lay under. She was perfumed by his musky scent, as was her nightgown and the hospital bed sheets.

She ran her hand over his back, the soft tips of her fingers tickling his skin. She could feel the bones through his skin, the vertebrae of his spine as she dragged her crimson nails down his back.

"Morning." She muttered as he began to blink, waking himself up from the previous dream he had been in.

"Morning... fiancé." He smirked as he wrapped his arms around her pulling her close.

"You know we have one problem." She smiled lightly thinking of her now, mother in-law's, reaction.

"What?" Michael asked, his brows furrowed in confusion.

"We have to tell Polly..."