One-Shot

He should not have hung up the phone. He put his hands on his face, took a deep breath, and then slid his right hand behind his neck.

Anyone could see the frustration coming off him in waves.

He knew he should just pick up the phone, call her back and apologize. They were past having these kinds of fights. Way past. And he knew it.

That was actually the problem.

He wanted them to move on. He wanted that for what felt like forever. Things between them were put on hold for a whole year.

But there was always an issue at work, the company, other people trying to keep them apart for so many reasons, their own past problems, they were just beginning to get back on track, and sometimes it seemed as if the world was conspiring for them not to work everything out.

As if they were not meant to be when he knew they were.

For just a second there, it seemed as if he was the only one fighting for them, and God, he knew that was not true.

'Why are you afraid?'

'You don't know. Putting aside all I've been through, you don't know what they have gone through. How can I upset my family? It's not the right time.'

'Will there ever be a right time, Defne?'

She was the one that fought for them for so long.

She was the one who fought the most.

That was the real source of his exasperation. There was no going back. He left her. He can't undo the damage he'd done.

He had to fix this. He had to because there was no living without her.

He had no idea how long he stood in front of his glass doors looking outside, so when the doorbell rang, he had no clue who it was.

***

He could barely believe his eyes. It was as if he was thinking of her so hard, he materialized her at his house.

She looked like a fairy princess.

His siren.

She pushed him back and got into the house.

'The next time I tell you not to hang up on me, you won't hang up the phone! After all those battles I fought for you, I am afraid of fighting, is that right? Do you think my mind is confused? With other people and other people's opinions?'

She looked magnificent putting him in his place.

Berating him for ever having doubts.

'There is nothing confusing about it. My mind is very clear on this. I know quite well what I want and where I stand. There is only you for me. Nothing else matters besides this. And here I thought that I communicated all of this openly but apparently that wasn't clear enough for you to understand.'

He had nothing to say. She was right.

She could not push him though. She was too small.

But of course, he let her do what she wanted with him, he wanted to see what was her game.

***

This was probably fate telling him what he already knew: that they belonged together.

The minute he admitted to himself that he was wrong, that Defne has always shown him how much she loved him and she never gave him a reason to doubt her love, is the minute she shows up and vocalizes everything he was thinking.