Chapter 3

"It was so embarrassing, Julie. I don't even know what I was thinking." Anne cringed, remembering the events of the previous night. She and Julie were sitting in the library, being as quiet as possible, so they wouldn't get reprimanded by a teacher or overheard by the other students.

"So Tim Riggins flirted with you?" Julie asked, her eyes wide.

Anne made a face. "What? No! Did you even listen to what I just told you? I went over to his house, he offered me some beer, and I spat it out. I've made a fool of myself in front of guys before, but never like this."

"It probably wasn't that bad." Yes, it was. "So you like him, uh?"

Sure I do, he's so pretty that I can't stand looking at him. "Julie, I just met him yesterday."

"And you just met me two days ago, and we're already confiding in each other. This is high school, you fall hard and fast." The blonde snapped her fingers.

Anne barked a laugh. "Jeez, thanks, Cupid."

"Hey, Julie." Anne turned to see who had spoken; it was a tall girl with short blonde hair.

"Oh, hey Tyra. This is Anne."

"Hi Tyra, nice to meet you." Anne shook the tall girl's hand, and offered her a smile. "I feel like I know you already, Landry won't stop talking about you."

"He's a chatterbox, isn't he?" Tyra chuckled, taking a seat next to Julie. "So you're the Riggins' new neighbor, uh?"

Oh no. "Wait, how do you know that?"

"It's a small town, everyone knows everything."

"Right." Damn it, in L.A. barely anyone at school knew where I lived. "Yeah, I met Tim and Billy yesterday."

"Anne has a crush on Tim." Julie blurted out, patting her in the shoulder.

"Julie!" Anne gasped in astonishment. "Not cool! It's not true, Tyra."

Tyra studied her face, and Anne pursed her lips nervously. "I hope not." The tall girl said. "That's not a road you wanna go down."

"Tyra and Tim dated." Julie informed her.

"Oh." Anne murmured. I guess it makes sense. She's gorgeous and popular, he's gorgeous and popular...

"It's in the past, and we're good friends now." Tyra said dismissively. "But like I said, you don't wanna go there. I'm not sure if there's anything going on with him and Lyla right now, but now that he's a senior, the rally girls are going to surround him more than ever. It's probably their last chance to get a piece of him."

"What's a rally girl?" Anne asked, raising an eyebrow.

Her question made Tyra titter. "Wow, you really are new."

Later that day, she began working at the Alamo Freeze with Matt. Wearing that tiny white hat made her feel ridiculous at first, but she eventually decided that it was cute.

They had been working quietly, only speaking to each other when it was necessary, until Matt brought up what happened at the Riggins' house. "Hey, listen... I just wanted to apologize for last night. Riggins was being a jerk, and I didn't really do anything about it..."

Anne shook her head. "Matt, you don't have to apologize for him. It was nothing."

"Yeah, I know, it's just..."

"Don't worry about it. And thank you again, for helping me get this job."

"No problem."

They continued attending the costumers, and exchanging things about each other. Matt told her about his dad being in Iraq, taking care of his grandma, and how he became QB1 of the Dillon Panthers. It had all started when the previous quarterback, Jason Street, became paralyzed. Matt also mentioned that Jason was Tim's best friend.