.* CHAPTER 2 *.

(This chapter will include some pictures. All are drawn by my friend Kate. Thank you for making this beautiful fan art of your son–Hank.)

*

I woke up. The curtains on the window next to my bed were drawn back and the light blinded me. I didn't remember pulling them back last night. I'm such an idiot.

I sat up and adjusted my small glasses. I grabbed one of the many large, red beanies that sat towards the end of my bed and I got up.

I wanted to see Hank again. Maybe catch up on some stuff. But would it be weird if I just visited him randomly. “What the heck,” I told myself, looking in a mirror.

I opened my door to go out. As I looked back into my room, I realized how unorganized it was. Could you blame me, though? I just moved in. Never the less, I still felt a bit guilty for some reason.

I was now in front of Hank's door. It was silent. I second guessed myself. What if he wasn't awake yet? Wouldn't that be weird? Or what if– My train-of-thought was cut off when Hank opened the door. I hadn't even knocked.

“Biggy-Cheese! Nice to see you!” He hugged me. This was sudden. He was so nice and that's all I could think in the few seconds I actually had to think.

“Hey! Come on in, pal! I wanna show you some of my work!” His room as dark. The only light he had was the sun shine coming up underneath the curtains. He did have some Christmas lights hanging up though. It was pretty cute.

He led me to a table. Immediately, I could tell that Hank was working on a budget. All he had on his desk were a few pencils and erasers, paper, canvases, and oddly enough, paint brushes, but no paint.

“This is my favorite!” It was just a picture of a smiley face. You could tell it was drawn fast. Though, it had some charm to it. I had no idea why, though. He held up the tiny canvas and brought it closer to me.

 He held up the tiny canvas and brought it closer to me

As I got closer to it, it seemed familiar... That's it! The smiley faces he drew in middle school!

“Hank,” I said, breaking the silence. “How long have you been drawing those?”

He paused to think, bringing a finger to his mouth. “Probably since middle school? I have no clue, but I've been drawing them everyday!”

I looked around his room. There were no other pictures of smiley faces anywhere to be found. “So where are all of them?”

“I've been donating them to the lady next store. She always asks me ‘Got the good stuff?’ and I say ‘Yes’ and give her one of my drawings! Everyday!” He was so innocent, so pure. Any normal person would immediately know that that lady next store was a total crack head, probably begging Hank for some sort of drug.

“Oh, oh! I also drew my dad! A-And this tiny bird!” He held it up, pointing to each character as he said their names. He was full of excitement.

Once again, it wasn't the best drawing, but it was beautiful to me

Once again, it wasn't the best drawing, but it was beautiful to me. It was very wholesome and cute.

“Oh...” I say. “What else have you been doing, Hank? I mean,it's been a while.”

“Art. Just art.” He sat on his bed.

“Nothing else?” He shook his head. “Are you selling them?”

“I've been trying, but no one really wants one. Maybe they are too pretty.” He looked over to the drawings. “Other than that, some other things have happened.”

I waited for him to continue. He didn't. “Like..?”

(To be continued, my guy.)