Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death

Staring into the dark always helped her think, there was nothing what could distract her. She often laid in the bed for hours, feeling relaxed, but her brain was still working, trying to fix problems, trying to figure out the best solution. It was her most productive time of the day actually, when she was at her peace and able to think about the more serious questions.

Even if she didn't really do anything else, a warm hand on her bare back, signalled Jacob was awake next to her and tried to get her attention back to the present. "You think too loudly.", he often said with a smile, then added she needed a proper sleep, pulled her back to him and they talked about small things, sweet nothings, until she drifted off to the world of dreams – which happened pretty quickly, she noticed; his warmth and voice always slowed her racing mind down, made her more calm and felt safe.

When she lost her father a lot changed around her and Lara needed to grow up a little bit faster than other kids. Had no idea when was the last time when someone else looked after her – of course there were Winston and Ana and Alex and Sam for a while, but it... just wasn't the same. She could share some of her problems with them and she wasn't alone, Lara knew that – she could be much-much lonelier and knew how lucky she was, but deep down she always felt alone.

Of course, Lara had friends and lovers before as well, but it often felt she was sharing her mind and body for a limited time and with boundaries. Never really shared her whole personality, only some parts of it, only what made her acceptable for others – always showed her better side and never her complexity. But this time was different – for many reasons.

The first period after that talking among the buildings was a bit... alien to her. It was a very new experience, something she never really faced with before. What was before? Her short lived relationships and even shorter one night stands were about different things: either way, she tried to make herself being liked by the other one or they only chased a moment of relief and fun away from the problems of the world around them. Her partners usually weren't really interested in her, not truly. That wasn't a problem for her, well for the one night adventures, it was simple, clear, no expectations, but had a good fuck in exchange. For the relationships, Lara rather avoided them. What's the point if she doesn't meet to the expectations? Rather walked on her own path alone.

But Jacob was... different. He was simple and Lara never felt any ill meaning behind his moves toward her. He didn't try to amuse her or win her over. He just wanted to let things happen when they had to happen without any pushing and she liked that.

How she could forget that when she was angry at him that night?

Interesting, but despite him being older than her, Jacob was surprisingly timid, careful and even unsure when it came to the two of them. Even after he kissed her once, - he never stepped over any boundaries that time either – he didn't try to kiss her again right after it. Didn't even start to touch her right away. Still, his bright smile he gave to her, the warm looks, the worry whenever she headed out, it all signed he was serious that day and ever since, but needed some time to open up.

It was totally new to her, someone who didn't make a move right at the spot and tried his best to take her to his bed – and these small moments meant everything for her. Some peace and love, a breath of fresh air in the endless line of craziness, blood and screams. Like a safe place to rest on the hunt. A warm fire to warm up next to it, before she was heading out once again. He didn't try to tie her to himself. Even if he was a leader and had more life experiences, she felt like he didn't try to dominate her, but he didn't treat her as his equal either. He followed her lead. She was the one who dictated where they will head and how fast or slow, he was willing to follow her and always respected her choices. And yet, when she was unsure, he gave her a little push, when she wanted to rush into things, he held her back a bit and made her think first, when she needed support, he was there.