Admiration

"How many suitors have come for me today?" Medusa asked as she looked at her reflection in disdain.

"Ten"

"Only ten?" she scoffed, her plump brown lips formed into a comely pout.

"Ten hundred Medusa" Lyssa, the queen's handmaiden, whispered carefully.

"Mmmmhm" she chimed, delicately parting her thick brown hair with a golden toothed comb as she attempted to tame it.

'Shall we?" she beamed at her reflection, now pleased with her appearance.

"Yes, your majesty" Lyssa bowed in reverence and escorted her to the opulent temple connected to her grand palace.

Medusa relaxed in her throne chair and sat high in importance. She met the eyes of the herald to signal the parade of suitors.

"Let them in" the attendant announced.

The stone doors of the sunlit temple opened and a swarm of men stumbled forward, each desperate to steal even a glimpse of the beautiful queen.

"Medusa! Medusa!"

"how beautiful"

"her beauty is even rarer than described"

"if even my arm could catch a droplet of spit upon when she speaks I will die in peace"

She lifted her hand for quietude and the men snapped to silence at her call.

—dogs, all of them—

She studied the crowd with her piercing green orbs and pointed a manicured foot to a tall man near the front.

The temple filled with the noises of his dragging feet. He was a handsome tall fellow whose skin was as shiny and white as an ocean swept pearl.

"Queen Medusa, I have come to gape at your beauty. Even a glance will be enough to fuel my heart for the rest of my miserable days" he proclaimed.

She tilted her head in silence as her eyelids lowered in judgment. She smirked at his words as a signal to continue his praises.

 She smirked at his words as a signal to continue his praises

"Your face is as decadent as a morsel of desire"

"I will halt you right here--"

"Adrian" he blurted his name uninvitedly.

"Baidron, your empty praises mean nothing to me. I know what I am and I know of my beauty. If this is all you've brought to impress me then surely you are dismissed--"

"Wait! Wait! I have brought something else my queen."

"Go on then Laden" she announced, not caring to memorize his name.

"Adrian" he announced.

"Pardon?"

"My name is Adrian your majesty"