Chapter 1

"Time for bed, Dyl."

"'Kay. Night, love you."

"Love you, too."

Dylan obeyed her mother, her eyes drooping as she silently stepped down the hallway to her room. She had just finished another episode of the Y-Files with her, a show about detectives and aliens. It was called "Y" because the things that happened in the show were usually unexplained.

Tonight's episode was called Beauty and the Beast. It was about the main detectives searching for a vandal going about tearing up local forests. Everyone assumed it was the humanoid beast-thing that had been banished from a nearby town a while ago, and that this was its way of getting revenge. But the detectives figured out it was an evil man trying to frame the gentle creature the whole time.

The townspeople apologized and let him back in where his human sister embraced him for the first time in months.

That episode made her think of the actual fairy tale. She loved that story all her life. She admired how the girl was able to pierce through the Beast's rough hide and see that he was not mean and terrifying, but kind and sweet. And because of that, she saved him and they were both rewarded with true love.

When she climbed into her bed and drifted off to sleep, she dreamed she was the Beauty.

Dylan was awoken by the soft, carpeted footsteps of her mother as she flipped the light on in her younger brother's bedroom. She knew she was waking everyone up for school, so she put her blue blanket over her eyes to shield the blinding light from her lamp as her mom turned it on.

Aw, man... I swore school was gonna delay today, she thought. She grudgingly lolled herself out of bed and got ready for school with her younger brother and sister. After the were completely ready, they kissed their mother goodbye and went on their way. They arrived at school and Dylan went to the middle school wing.

On her way to her locker, she saw her group of five friends walking down the hallway, seeming to be looking for someone. She tried to flag them down.

"Hey, guys! Over here!" She shouted, waving her hands. But there were too many people in the hallway to see her.

Shoot, Dylan thought. Now I'm gonna have to wait until lunch. She had a another new song she was excited to show them. But at the same time, she was kinda terrified.

After she grabbed her headphones and math book, she had started to first period when a big commotion started up outside by the front of the school. A chorus of yelling arose and everyone was flooding outside to see what was going on. When Dylan rushed out, what she saw shocked her so much her textbook slipped from her arms and tumbled onto the ground.

Curiously, floating about 15 feet in the air was a talking humanoid wolf holding an open book and what looked like a paint tube.