getting even.

_____

_____

She rubbed her eyes with her palms, thanking her graces that she wore no makeup that day, avoiding the overworked raccoon look by sleeping in an hour and rushing through her routine, forgoing mirrors all together. Exhaustion was creaking in her bones as she fought to keep her eyes on the painfully bright computer screen before her.

The office floor was nearly empty, the last couple of employees hiking their bags on their shoulders, making their way toward Lucys desk, which was currently scattered with papers and the remnants of earlier's lunch. Alex knocked playfully on her desk, Chase lingering behind him as she glanced up through her thick lashes,

"You need a lift home, Lu?" He asked, a friendly smile brightening his angled features. Lucy smiled softly in response, but shook her head nonetheless, letting her hand fall from its place under her chin, to the desk ungracefully.

"I'm gonna catch an uber home, or something. Way too close to finishing this to leave." She explained, gesturing toward the screen with a lazy motion.

Alex's eyes darted to her slender neck, a teasing smile pressing on his lips as he gestured with a hand to his own neck,

"An uber, huh? Sure it's not a boyfriend you haven't told us about?" He joked, and Chase poked his head around to catch a glimpse himself. Lucy raised her brows in question, before reaching into her purse on the desk and grabbing out the small compact, flipping it open and angling it the right way to gaze at her neck.

There were multiple hikeys adorning her skin, one hidden beneath the curve of her jaw, two more trailing down to the curve of her neck and shoulder, and yet another just barely concealed beneath the collar of her t-shirt. Her brows knit, moving a hand to touch the purple bruises as a curse slipped past her lips.

"Aw, fuck."

The boys laughed in response, and she felt her face grow hot, partly due to embarrassment, as well as the memory that assaulted her thoughts on how those marks came to be. Link loved to bite, it was one of his quirks that really got her going. But she hadn't realized just how bad he left her the night before.

"Yeah, haha. Maybe you'll meet him someday." Her words sounded forced, but the duo let it be, saying their goodbyes before leaving the office.

Lucy frowned as she threw her compact back in her purse, continuing her digital task with a hint of distain. A half hour rolled by, and she heard the sound of a door closing upstairs, followed by footsteps. She quirked her attention to the stairwell, where Link was making his way down, his keys swinging on his right index finger.

"What are you still doing here?" Lucy asked, and Link damn near jumped out of his skin, his glasses falling down his nose as he glanced at her, surprised.

"I was organizing the office, lost track of time. What are you still doing here?" He countered, the barest hint of a smile on his lips, as he adjusted his glasses.