Chapter Six

I looked into the surprisingly gleeful eyes of Professor McGonagall as her hand rested gently on my shoulder. Her mouth still showed no signs of happiness, twitching downward even, but her eyes held a comforting warmth that I hadn't felt since mother... since I'd been left alone.

The rude woman glared, but eventually gave up, slammed three golden coins onto the counter, grabbed her daughter's hand roughly and briskly marched put of the shop. I didn't trust myself to speak unsurprisingly, afraid I'd lose control over my heated temper. 

The atmosphere in the small shop seemed to be tense but lighter than before as Madam Malkin bustled around the shop, clearly more comfortable since that dreadful woman left. Her measurements were done quickly and soon, I not only had a new Hogwarts uniform, but a new set of robes of a gorgeous blue colour. They were a few shades darker than the sky but were richer than jewels in my eyes, they had such a deep set glow to them that I didn't move for a few minutes in the mirror.

We left the small shop once I'd been torn from my reflection, something I'd never really paid attention to before. There weren't many mirrors on the streets. The next shop we came to was just as small but wasn't nearly as grand looking inside for me, or for anyone I believe, as Madame Malkins but I could sense that Professor McGonagall as excited to send me in as she was to Madame Malkins so I trudged in, my new robes brushing around my ankles. 

Inside the small shop were stacks and stacks of dusty boxes full of... sticks. This 'Ollivanders' was a strange place indeed but with the recent events in mind, I tentatively approached the desk at which a man who curiously had some semblance to Albert Einstein minus the moustache sat, peering at me with heavily bagged eyes.

"Miss Hala." His voice was musky and rough, it was as though age and the dust from his sticks had withered it away. "I remember your mother, she came here to find her perfect match as well not some 30 years ago. You bear some astounding similarities to her."

"How do I know which stick to choose?" My small question received a chuckle. 

"They're wands Miss Hala, and the wand chooses the witch in your case" He handed me a small, less dusty box from underneath the counter with a dark " reddish 'wand' inside, "Try this one for example, 12 inches, made from redwood with a dragon heartstring." I rolled my eyes inwardly then, feeling rather foolish, gave the wand a wave... nothing. 

He hastily snatched the wand from me and gave a short one in its place, it was a very pale and had a sculpted end "Birch wood, 8", unicorn hair, seems more fitting" Again nothing. I was beginning to lose hope that maybe it had been a mistake. Maybe I'd just been some random girl on the street that Professor McGonagall had decided to play a prank on.

The final one he handed me felt different to all the others, as if it had been made exclusively for my hands. I gave it a wave and as if by magic, golden and green sparks filled the shop at the same time as a peculiar warmth filled my fingertips and spread all the way up to my chest. Another small chuckle came from the man I had deduced to be Ollivander, "That'll be the one for you then. 13" Larchwood with a phoenix feather core. Excellent for charm work and transfigurations you'll find."

I walked out of the shop with a large smile on my face after paying him for my new wand. It was mine, one of the few possessions that I owned, not counting the few scraps that I had back home. Professor McGonagall's shared smile faded in an instant as a greasy, dark looking man strode down the street  toward us, his thin lips curved harshly into a wicked smile.