Chapter 2

This week, folks, I have discovered the art of Youtube videos. Not the 'recommended' ones that show videos of roughly six years ago, but the 'TED-talk but as a video' kind of videos. With a range of duration from two to ten minutes I have spend measurably five hours watching. Therefore I have to admit, most of the videos I've watched I cannot remember what it was about. I think that I have a problem, a typical teen problem in a slightly different way of a normal teen, not so sure. Wanting to be enlightened, wise, whatsoever through reading and discovering. I have came across these educative videos even though the subjects do not seem appealing enough to me to bother watching, I still watch them, sadly. Sadly because I can't remember or seem to understand well enough. The videos exists of helpful content, great animation and easy language. I'll comeback to watching these in a year. I'll be sixteen then, and hopefully more intelligent.

Last week I have talked about some useful ways to be more active and focused. One worked, one didn't. I have also introduced the 'Pomodoro-technique' although most have already heard of this I'd like to dedicate most of this chapter to the technique. Some brief history of the technique is not needed, I guess. The key of this technique is the blocks, the blocks of time in which you'll work. The original version is a focused time of 25 minutes with a 5 minute break, and repeat as many times as wanted. I found 25 minutes too little to be concentrated and finish a task so I made it 45 minutes with a 15 minute break. An hour, easy to plan right? In truth I haven't made 45 minutes of it, my local library did. In the centre of Amsterdam there is a seven leveled building, the library, my library. Amsterdam is filled with libraries but not as big, as friendly or widely ranged with books as my library. Which, to continue the story, started their annually StudyShare, to explain I quote "OBA StudyShare is the way to help you focus on studying, time management and personal productivity." By participating you'll be seated in a room with others with the presence of a supervisor. Mobile phones can be handed in or switched off. The blocks consist of 3x a 45-minute study time with a 2x 15-minute break in between. Every 15 minutes you can walk around the library or get a cup of coffee. Sadly, StudyShare has stopped and will be back in april. Still, I've remained using this technique to get through this school year, and it works every time - apart from obtaining motivation before I start. Pomodoro, I recommend.