24

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR:
Glitters and Weed

❯❯❯❯❯

Grim forgot a few things when she went to the woods to go after whoever was out there for her. First, she was wearing a nice shirt and blood would probably ruin it. Second, the mask Jonah, the mayor's nephew who also happened to be a werewolf, gave her was extremely uncomfortable. She asked for Jonah's help since she sensed that there were more opponents than she expected but declined to bring a fraction of his pack, saying that the two of them would be enough. Grim didn't want to risk more lives than she intended to. Jonah didn't want anyone knowing that he was a werewolf so Grim agreed on wearing masks. Unfortunately, Jonah only had Guy Fawkes masks and Grim was wearing the black and gold while he took the white and black, which was irritating Grim because it was hot on her face.

Lastly, she forgot to ask Lauren to be her girlfriend since she figured that they were on the same page. She didn't want to make their job quick but she didn't have a choice if she wanted to get back to Lauren as soon as possible.

"You know these people?" Jonah asked as they stopped on a thick branch, watching heavily armed men march fifty feet below them.

"No," Grim said in a whisper. "They're coming after Clara Jauregui. I heard one of them talking."

"I heard that the reason why she's here in Arlington is because of a feud at work she's trying to escape from," Jonah said, studying their opponents. "Guess it's pretty serious. You don't come sending a fleet of trained men to kill a woman."

"But are they?" Grim asked, motioning to a guy carrying a rifle. "He doesn't look trained to me. Look at how he's holding that AKM like it's a fucking puppy. The recoil will break his face."

"Or we can do it for him." Jonah grinned before dropping on the said guy and doing just as what he said before climbing beside Grim again. His mask and fingers were covered in blood. "There we go."

The guy was screaming in pain as he held on his face that was marked by Jonah's claws. He was causing too much noise so another man shoot him in the head without remorse, causing Grim to smirk.

"Let's make this quick," the man said, ordering the fleet forward. "Bravo team, stay alert and eliminate the threat. Fire at will."

"He sounds trained," Jonah said, shrugging.

"Please," Grim scoffed, rolling her red eyes. "I know those terms from the games I play. Plus, they're attacking on broad daylight? Who fucking does that?"

"Maybe it's a new strategy they're trying to play."

"It won't work."

"Do we go now?"

"Ladies first," Grim said teasingly, earning a glare from Jonah but he didn't protest and went with their business.

❯❯❯❯❯

Half an hour passed, and then an hour, and another hour, until the sun went down and the moon came up. Lauren couldn't do anything. She didn't know what was out there and she was smart enough not to run after Grim. She trusted her with her own life so she knew that Grim wouldn't die just like that. No, Grim couldn't die. But she hadn't come home and it had been hours. Mike already made it back from work and when he looked for the Wolf, Lauren made up a lie and told them that she needed some fresh air after their fight.

It was a mistake to tell them that something went down between them but it was a great distraction and Lauren went on with the lie smoothly.