2. Nursing the Sick

The next day I woke up ready and refreshed at 6:00 to deliver the tapistry. Because of the sheer size of it, I took the wagon. When I arrived at the stone steps of the church, I banged the heavy knocker, a dragon's head made out of metal, and the creaky door slid open. I was greeted by Brother Michael who was a friend of papa.

"Ahh Alice it's so good to see you!" he said giving me a hug. "What brings you here today?"

"I'm here to deliver the tapistry for my mum. She had to finish one and couldn't make it out." I smiled politely as he released me from his hold. He opened the door wider and I stepped in, marveling at the archways. The church was filled with pews and at the front stood a grand altar with a chandelier above it making the whole church fill up with light. As we continued on walking toward another set of doors, I recognized the hallway we were entering.

"Well come on in, but be careful, we opened the church up and now we have some patients in the extra rooms." At hearing this I became curious. As we went around the bend, I saw what he meant. The spare room was filled with as many beds as they could stuff into the small room with narrow walkways. On each bed, there were patients, both young and old. The one thing they all had in common, were the buboes and blisters that were swelling on their arms and legs, some on their collarbone. They were covered in blankets and the nurses ran around fetching water and herbs for the patients. The room was cast into an ominous light by the one light hanging above the center of the room. Brother Micael led me to the wall on the far side where there were already pins waiting in the wall. He took the tapestry which I was been holding, unrolled it and climbed the side ladder to hang it.

When I saw it unroll, it was beautiful. There was a giant sun in the middle with some words around the corner which I did not know how to read. My mum was one of the lucky girls that were able to learn how to read before being taken out of the school system. Around the sun there were birds and colorful swirls, and I now saw why Rohesia had marveled over it.

As Brother Michael stood back, he admired it too.

"Your mother really outdid herself this time. It's gorgeous." I nodded being snapped out of my daze.

"Well, I must be going. If there is any way I can help with the efforts, or our family can help, just let me know. I'm sure my dad would want to help, as well as mum and Rohesia." I smiled at him.

"There isn't much to do. All we need are nurses, but if Eleanor wants to she can keep making these beautiful tapestries and we'll pay her for the efforts. That's really kind of you. Thank you, Alice." As he said this Brother Michael pulled out a small sack of coins and handed them to me. I put them in the pocket of my thick skirt. I gave him one last hug, then showed myself out. 

On the walk home I could not stop thinking about the efforts I could do to help. Maybe I could become a nurse and help. I was so caught up in my thoughts, that I paid no attention to the scenery, which I normally loved. With the thoughts pumping through my veins I took the handle of the wagon and started to run down the road home. When I burst through the door mum, papa, and Rohesia looked up in surprise and stared questionably. I told them all of what Brother Michael said, and they thought that weaving more tapestries would be a great idea. Papa would continue to farm on our lands for food, but mum would teach Rohesia how to weave on the loom, and she would use my old rickety one. They were happy to help, but when I told them about my idea of becoming a nurse, they hesitated. Mum walked to me and took my hands in hers before speaking.

"Alice, I know you want to help, but do you think it would be safe? They do not know how to stop it or what causes it, and people are dropping like flies all around us every day." At this, my face fell, but she continued on. "I know you want to help, but you also need to think about your well being and ours. WHat would we do if we lost you."

"I promise I'll be careful. I won't come home while I work as a nurse, as to not get you guys sick, and I'll send a letter and my pay every week so you know how I'm doing. If I feel the slightest bit off, I'll be home within the hour." I really hoped that they would agree. After some debating and Rohesia hugging my leg, they agreed.

Within the week I had left for the church. I was greeted by Brother Michael. One of the nurses Evita, a kind brunet, showed me the ropes, and by the time the week had finished I was a pro. I worked every day from 6:00 all the way until I could not anymore. As the months passed The church filled up more and more. People who caught the disease were now laying on pews and in the hallways on the benches. I had long discarded my heavy dresses for scratchy jeans to be able to move around more freely. 

As time progressed, our manor got wind that bloodletting with leeches was one of the common medical practices used to treat the patients. It was brutal and hard to watch, but I knew I had to, to be able to help them. In some cases, bloodletting helped, but in others, it did not. I was working so hard, helping the infected by helping with treatments, running errands for the church, and making new makeshift beds, that time flew by. 

The thing I hated doing the most was the letter writing. Most of the patients, whether they be men, women, adults or children, wanted to write letters to their loved ones when they knew there was no return for them. When I listened, to later tell someone else who could write, I felt like I was assisting in their death, like I was an angel of death. It felt horrible to know that the next day the family would be heartbroken. 

And I would have helped be the cause of that. 

All rights reserved by BurningFakeHell©

Love you all!

xxBFH