Nineteen

♡♡♡

There is no way I'm going to fall asleep. Not only can I hear the continuous, repetitive sound of the gun going off in my head, but not knowing Hunter's condition is gnawing at my insides.

The last time I had heard anything about him was when Marcos had been shouting that his heart had stopped. Not exactly reassuring to hear.

I don't even know if the farm has enough medical equipment to help him. He would have been better off at a hospital. Obviously, Andy doesn't care enough about his son's life if he's willing to take such a big risk.

No one is telling me anything, even when I had shouted at some random Razor member to tell me something, anything. It only got me locked back in my room, reminding me that I am still a hostage and not free to roam around the house.

I don't know where Ridge is and I don't know if he's heard about what has happened yet.

I draw my knees up to my chin as I sit on the mattress in my room. The blinds are drawn and shadows play on the walls as the sun finally sets. I don't know what the time is but it doesn't matter. Nothing really matters when I have nothing to do but wait and hear how Hunter is.

Suddenly a knock sounds at the door and I jump up from my bed, more alert than ever before. Marcos enters the room, still wearing a medical scrub. I gulp, looking away from the blood coating him, meeting his eyes.

"He's stable. He lost a lot of blood. But the main thing is that he's stable," he says, answering my silent question.

I gulp, sighing in relief. It feels like a weight is being lifted from my chest. "But his heart—"

"He's stable, Ellie. He's going to be alright."

I nod, feeling tears prick the corner of my eyes. "Can I—am I allowed to see him?"

Marcos seems to think about it for a minute, looking around outside my door before sighing. He nods. "Alright. I'll go and...clean myself up while you watch him for a minute. Not too long though, Ellie."

"Thank you," I whisper, walking past him.

I don't know what I'm expecting when I walk through the door but seeing Hunter just lying there, completely unconscious, does not help with how nauseous I am feeling.

An IV drip is attached to his arm. A heart rate monitor beeps steadily. I close my eyes briefly before walking over to him, pulling a chair from the corner of the room to his bed.

Hunter's blonde hair is covering his closed eyelids and I almost reach out to move it away on impulse. Instead, I put my hands under my thighs to stop myself from doing anything irrational.

He's not wearing a shirt and I try not to look at the bandage wrapped around his stomach. Instead, I focus on his breathing. This is the only thing that seems to be keeping me calm. At least this way I know he's in there and that he will wake up soon.

The door opens behind me and Marcos steps in. He's changed into black denim shorts and a t-shirt.

"When do you think he'll wake up?" I ask, clearing my dry throat.

"Maybe in a couple of days, maybe more. He'll be exhausted for a long time though."

"Understandably," I mumble.

At the end of the day, no matter what has happened between us, I would never wish this on my worst enemy. Which, ironically, Hunter is supposed to be.

"Andy told me exactly what happened," Marcos says, never taking his eyes off Hunter.

I can only manage a small nod. I know it will take me a while before I can talk about what I witnessed. I'm sure that it will always haunt me, no matter what.

"I'm sorry you had to see that," Marcos says, checking the IV.

I spin around to look at him, glaring. "Are you? I wouldn't have seen anything if it wasn't for you kidnapping me, Marcos."

A long silence fills the room and I find myself wanting to talk to him, just to get this whole situation out of my head.

"I don't think I've ever been more confused in my entire life," I blurt, closing my eyes.

"About what?" Marcos says, cocking one eyebrow.

"This," I say, gesturing around the room like it holds all the answers. "I don't know how I'm supposed to feel anymore. Well, actually, I do," I laugh angrily, looking back at Hunter.

"I'm supposed to hate him, I'm supposed to hate Ridge. My whole life I've been told that The Razors are bad people and that because I'm a Skull, I could never like them."

"Now I just...I try so hard to stay mad at Hunter for everything. I try to hate him because of who he is. But then again, it's not even his fault. He was born into this life without a choice."

He turns back to examine the IV before I can think about it anymore. "I get what you're saying," he says. "In the years that I've known the Haswell boys, I've seen the good and bad they carry around with them. Mostly good, but when you have a father like Andy, it's hard not to get mixed in with the bad."

He clears his throat like he's been the one who's oversharing and I didn't just spill my guts five minutes ago.

"I think you should go back to your room now, Elena," he smiles, wiping his hands on a towel. "I don't want to get you into any trouble with Andy."

I stand up, nodding. I head towards the door, before turning around to ask one last question.

"You can see him tomorrow," he says, reading my mind. He's not even looking up at me as he waves me away.

I shut the door before I leave, leaning against it to catch my breath.