{6}

"And can someone please tell me what the danger of a Hinkypunk is?"

Harry leaned back on his desk, looking out at excited faces, and knowing full well their excitement wasn't for him. The third-years wiggled in their seat, another weekend at Hogsmeade coming up, and their anticipation seemed unrivaled. He sighed, looking at everyone pleadingly.

Oh, to be the last professor they had on that day.

Harry watched his son look around, his hair falling into his face, as ever unmanageable as his own had been, and then rolled his eyes, volunteering himself.

Happily, he chose James to answer the question.

"They're little creatures who lead wizards and muggles into bogs or fog with a lantern that they're attached to."

"Correct, thank you, James! Yes, Hinkypunks are small creatures made up of a wispy smoke, and only have one leg. However, they are not attached to the lantern, they merely carry it with them.... Now can anyone tell me what happens when you illuminate them?"

Dead silence, besides excited shuffling, and a few students actually attempting to pay attention sifting through their notes.

"The faster you answer, the faster you get to go to Hogsmeade!" He exclaimed, attempting to get someone besides his son to answer. The boy pleaded with him as he shoved his hand in the air, the rest of the class looking at him and hoping he'd finally let James answer all the questions.

"James isn't going to take the exam for everyone, what is it?"

He made sure to note to McGonagall to never let the Third Years be put this late on his time table ever again. Though she may have done this as a slight challenge against him and his almost spectacular results as a professor.

A Ravenclaw girl seemed inclined after long enough of him merely ignoring his son, and Harry excitedly chose the blonde.

"They solidify?"

"Don't make it a question next time, Miss Kemp, but you are very right. Now, I want a very brief introduction paragraph written on these little wisps come the next time I see you, and you are all dismissed," Harry yelled over the packing up and chattering, amused by the young wizards' energy.

It was a pleasant surprise to have James walk up to his desk as Harry tidied up the assignments he'd collected from them that day.

"Hey, dad."

"Hey, son. Is everything okay?"

The boy nodded, coming around the desk and nodding. He hopped up and sat on it, but Harry still wasn't convinced that everything was going alright. However, he wouldn't press. Sitting in his chair, and starting on his grading, Harry waited until James was inclined to tell him what was plaguing him.

"Am I allowed to miss Mum?"

Looking up, Harry saw his normally composed and brave son was not such in that moment.

"Of course you are," he assured him, "Why would you think you can't?"

Harry stood up and encompassed his son in a hug, and despite its awkwardness, he hugged back.

"I don't know," came the muffled reply, "I've just been hearing how my mates all talk about their parents, and then about how sad it was that you're alone... well, that's other people, not my friends, but still. I hate hearing you pitied because you fought hard for us to be a proper family, like you never had, and then it was taken from you... from us."

"Yeah," Harry mumbled, stroking the boy's unruly hair, "I know. I'm trying to make the best of it, though, and while I might not be able to find someone to help us add to our little family, at least there's us. And I will never leave you. I mean, at this point, I think if Avada Kedavra can't kill me, then I don't know what can."