Chapter 1: Muted Past

“Hey.” We start walking down the aisle out to the blazing street lights of late night and out from this dark alley. I walk behind her and notice her unsettled steps and still quivering body.

 “Hey!” I called again. When the alley was already cleared of the police, and it’s just the two of us, she just started walking out and I didn’t have the chance to ask her name.

 “Miss... Are you okay?” What a stupid question. Finally, she stops and glances at me. Her eyes speak her need to be silent but I’m afraid she’s going to break down any minute; and I am not the sweet, cajoling type of guy who knows how to comfort a vulnerable woman.

 “I’m sorry, but I need to know where your home is. I’ll send you back.” It didn’t go unnoticed to me that she closed her eyes as if fighting back tears that threaten to flow once more.

 “It’s okay. You’re safe now.” I walk to her. I really don’t know what to do. Her eyes still close but I can see tears start to pour down her cheeks. What to do? What to do? What to do?

If you see a girl crying, just hug her tightly and the tears will soon stop. My mom’s voice rang in my head. So that’s what I do. I hesitantly pull her to my arms. She starts to sob on my chest and I just rob her back, gently reassuring her that all will be fine.

 Minutes passed, or hours. Sense of time suddenly fled from me as I hold this girl in my arms. It feels right. Her body starts to relax and her sobs cease; it gets awkward to me, eventually, holding her still so I speak.

 “Let’s get you home.” She doesn’t move.

 “Hey.” I peek down and gently shake her. Her breathing’s fine and relaxed. What!? She’s sleeping. After wetting my shirt, she just fell asleep! Wow. But looking at her, my heart sinks. Why? I don’t know. She must be tired. I feel weird. So now what?

Oh what to do!?

...

I walked up straight to the light, but the lights bended to where I cannot see. There’s a shadow ahead with piercing red eyes staring right back at me. I shiver and run from it. I can’t see any way out. Panic rising from my throat, I dare look back and then... I’m awake. I realized I was dreaming.

 The light from the open window shines on my face and makes my eyes hurt but bearable. Where am I? As I blink groggily, I try to remember anything that will lead me to where I am now. But nothing comes up to mind. I start to panic and get out of bed. I am in someone’s bed. The realization just hit me hard. As I hear the door opened, I am tense and ready to fight off whoever it is.

“Whoa. Good morning. You okay? I’m a friend,” a guy in his dark blue pj’s with a tray of food in hand enters the room; shock etched his face by my momentary stance. “Um... Not really a friend, I think. You might not remember me after last night but I helped you get to bed.”

I am the one who must be momentarily shocked by all of this. Last night? What happened last night? Why am I here? Where is ‘here’ exactly? Who is this guy?! He puts down the tray of food on the side table – his shocked face replaced by concern. “Hey. It’s fine. You’re safe now. I won’t hurt you. I can start with introducing myself, if you want. I’m Thor. I’m sorry if we met on a very dire event last night and not properly acquainted. You needed help so I thought I could just let you stay here for the night. You were so scared. I don’t know where your home is; as I said, you really passed out on me after crying so hard...” He stops as my tears fall unbidden. I can’t process his words all at once. Words that are lost to me. I can’t believe them all, can I? “I’m sorry... please stop. I can’t really handle crying women. I’m sorry I’m just babbling. I don’t know what to say... sorry.”

He pulled me in his arms and I relent to my grief. An empty grief. I feel like I lost something important. Yes. I lost my past. I lost every memory I had until now.

I am lost. Lost with this guy - my only possible key to remember.