The Drive (Mild Language)

The drive seemed like years. Scott's eyes were constantly scanning the sides of the highway until at last he spotted their black car parked off the side of the road with its hazards flashing.

"Oh, damn." Scott thought as he slid right up beside the passenger's side. He hopped out and ran over to the driver's seat to see Mitch doubled over, holding his stomach. He was moaning and struggling even harder to breathe. Sweat rolled down his cheeks as his weary eyes met Scott's.

"Mitch," Scott's voice cracked, "oh my gosh." His face filled with terror.

"I dunno.... what's happening.." Mitch forced through breathes, "I need to get...to a hospital."

"Okay," Scott squeaked. "I-I'm gonna have to move you then, so I can drive."

"Okay."

Scott slid one arm under the bends of Mitch's knees and the other behind his back. Then he slowly pulled him out of the car and cradled him to his body. Mitch groaned loudly. And just as soon as he was lifted out, he was gently placed back in on the other side.

"It's gonna be okay, Mitchie," Scott said as he pushed the door close. He ran around to his side and quickly got in. He hadn't seen how hard his hands were shaking until he placed them on the wheel. Mitch noticed.

As they flew down the highway, Mitch took one hand off his stomach and reached out. He grabbed Scott's sleeve tightly as pain shot up the right side of his belly. Scott glanced over at Mitch. He took his left hand off the wheel and placed it over Mitch's to comfort him.

"You're okay Mitch, you're okay." His voice quivered a bit, "Just hold on, we're almost there."

Pain came in waves up and down Mitch's stomach, and when it pierced him hard enough, he pinned his head back and let out a high pitched scream. The only thing Scott could do was rub Mitch's shoulder, for he feared of hurting him even more.