6

Chpt 6: Twin guards

(Russ’s pov)

I glared at the elf along with my twin brother, Kevin, as he said, “I’m not any harm to you two. If anything is of any harm to you humans here, it’s the other guards.”

“liar,” My brother spat out. “We were told about you creatures. We’re not to trust you.”

“Oh, trust me. I’m not going to do anything to you guys as long as I have this fucking thing on.” The elf tugged at the collar he had around his neck. It looked like it was locked. “With this fucking thing on, I might as well be a human.”

There was a splash behind me and I looked over my shoulder to see that the merman had his head sticking out of the water. He looked kind of cute with water dripping down his face from his blue-blond hair. He slowly swam up to the edge of the tank and looked up at me, his eyes wide with wonder. He then grabbed the side of the tank and I backed up, frightened as he lifted himself up and slid onto the platform on his belly. He then sat himself up with a little struggle and pointed at me. “Ascal, Human!”

The elf looked at the merman, seeming surprised that he was even there. He then smiled and started to talk in some strange language that sounded like he was just putting sounds together. The merman tilted his head to the side and mumbled something in the same language. The elf nodded. “What did you tell him?” I asked, curious. My brother gave me a small glare from the corner of his eyes. We both knew that we should have left already. The head guard had told us that we were to guard a door, and that door ended up being the entrance to the merman’s room; or more like tank if you get my pun there. We had been standing there when another three guards came by and started shoving stuff into our arms, telling us to go take it inside and to the elf. They then left and we did what we were told.

Kevin and I are twenty, and we had just moved into our first apartment together. No we are not dating each other; that gross. We’re twins and we’ve decided to share an apartment while we’re in college. We’re both taking on-line college because neither of us wanted to go to all the classes and stuff. We were home schooled and we didn’t like rooms full of people. We had been skimming a news paper looking for jobs when we found an ad to be temporary sincerity guards at a mansion. We decided to put in applications and we got the jobs; only thing is, it wasn’t what we expected. As soon as we met the owner of the mansion we knew we were getting ourselves into something different. We had to sign papers swearing we would keep everything that we see here top secret. At first we thought we were getting ourselves into some government stuff; but then we were given a tore and I saw some things that were more ‘fantasy’ than ‘government’. I haven’t put together what’s going on in this mansion and why there were all these strange creatures here; but I can say I feel like I’ve just walked into a fairy tale.

(Ascal’s pov)

I looked over the twins as they looked at me. They looked exactly same, both with blue eyes and chocolate brown hair and wearing matching guard uniforms. The only way I could tell the difference from the two was by their personalities. The one on the left was very stern and didn’t trust me one bit, while the other looked just curious as he glanced at Rinus ever now and then. Rinus himself looked curious at the two humans. I knew he could tell they were different than Lord D. He knew they were humans and that was good.

“I told him that he was right; that you’re human.” I told the two and crossed my arms over my chest.

“So he can’t speak English?” The curious twin asked.

“English!” Rinus yipped as he recognized the word.

“I’m teaching him.” I said.

“Come on, Russ. We can’t talk to them. They’re not to be trusted.” The stern twin said as he began to drag his brother down the stairs.

“I think they can be, Kevin. I mean, they seem nice and stuff. Just because they’re something that’s supposed to be fake doesn’t mean they’re vicious. You need to stop listening to the other guards. I’m sure they say not to trust them ‘cuz—“ The door then shut, and the curious twin’s voice was cut off. I shook my head and turned back to Rinus. He had his head tilted to the side as he was wondering what was going on. I smiled at him and sat down on the cot.

“Why did those humans like the same?” Rinus asked as he looked at me.

“Because they’re twins.” I told him and he looked at me confused. “Twins are two people born at the same time by the same mother. They look the same because they have the same DNA.”

“And what’s DNA?” I chuckled as I shook my head. I wondered if I was even going to be able to sleep tonight.