Chapter six

October second, Friday.

Dear Mr Simmons.

I think that you should notice me because...

The handout is ridiculous. First art homework of the year, and its writing.

I'm pretty good at writing, all it is is painting with words, but this is ART class.

Dear Mr Simmons, I think you should notice me because...

I cross out the typed words. They, like the ice on the windowsill, annoy me.

Hi. My name is Jade Nguyen. I have been told you will interview everyone our art teacher recommends in our advanced art placement class tomorrow, or today, if you're reading this on the third. These slips of paper are for you to see what we think about ourselves. Are you looking for an egocentric?

Honestly, I think us writing this is ridiculous. Wouldn't it just be easier if we just drew something for you to review? To make your heavy, unquestionably overwhelming load off your shoulders, allow me to draw you something.

I draw a person from behind, stretching to reach tho top of an easel.

The first two periods at school pass snail-slow. Math is a blur of integers whirling around in a storm trapped inside my head. English just burns a hole from my forehead to my jaw.

Finally art.

Mr Simmons is waiting in the art room, next to Ms. Landers. His forehead is the first thing I notice about him, as it stretches almost half a foot from his brow to his receding hairline. Our homework sits in an impatient stack as he slowly scans each one. Once and a while he writes a name on a piece of scrap paper.

Everyone watches him, tapping a foot or chewing a thumbnail. He pursed his lips at one, smiles fondly at another. Everyone's eyes are glued to him as he places the last piece of paper on the stack.

He stands up, with his legs spread, hands behind his back in a military At Ease position. A twitch of a smile flickers up and down his thin, poofy lips.

"Hi." we all look up at him, tension rising like a hot air balloon, up, up, up.

I would like to speak with six of you. In opposite order of my interest. The most promising student will be last."

He smiles at us, in that twitching way, his wide face twisting into something slightly sadistic.

He turns around and writes "5 full scholarships, 5 partials" on the board.

Bennett and Marcus elbow each other. Marcus cups his side.

"Lamar" Lamar grins looking more or less satisfied.

"Macey" Macey smiles too, but doesn't look happy. I can tell she'll be pissed at whoever is first.

"Bianca" I give her a high five, and she looks flabbergasted. She try's not to smile as the next name is called.

"Gabrielle" I smile, but am nervous. I know that I'm either first or a nobody. Why can't he read the names faster?

"Jade". Oh. Second. Kathleen's words come back to me, as flashbacks so often do. Everybody in public who deserve to be in private have been discovered already.

"Craig". He smiles benignly, "now, may I speak with you Lamar?".