Chapter 14 - Climb Out of the Dark

Peter

Peter sat hunched over, at a large imposing desk. Papers scattered, he typed away at his father's old desktop computer. The light from the screen cast an eerie glow on his pinched face. It had been two weeks since he had come home from Turkey. The magic of hot air balloons and sunshine, a distant memory.

Someone knocked on the door. "I hear congratulations are in order for closing that deal in Florida." Dean came in and turned on the lights. Peter grunted from his seat.

"Why's it so dark in here? How long have you been at this? I'm opening these. It's almost half past one." Dean opened the blinds. The light hit Peter's face. He flinched as if burned.

Peter rubbed his eyes then stretched the tension out of his arms. "I suppose I should grab a bite before I come back to this."

"No need. Got a bacon sarnie and a thermos right here." Dean put the items on the small table near the fireplace that was flanked by two chairs.

Peter came over as if possessed. He sat down and devoured the sandwich in moments. As he opened the thermos, he took an appreciative sniff and sighed. "Thanks mate."

"How's sweet Bea doing?"

Peter leaned forward and put his head in his hands. "I don't really know. I've been so busy trying to sort out my father's notes and his daily schedule, I haven't had the chance to talk to her. Mum said you'd been by. Brought her flowers. She felt like a school girl all over again." Peter smiled a bit.

"Oh you know me and mums. They adore me. I saw your father for a moment. He looked alright. Maybe a little out of it. He asked if we went to school together...I didn't really know what to say. Thought it best to go along with it. Chloe was there in all her roundness. Any day now I'd say."

The two sat quietly.

"Are you going to go see him?"

Peter gripped the armrests of his chair. "I don't know. I probably should. It's like he gets a free pass. Just because he can't remember some of the horrible things he's done, that doesn't mean they didn't happen. Everyone is catering to him. I don't want to."

"Well don't then. Just think of how your mum is handling all of this. At least now you can run the company how you've always wanted to."

"I should've seen how far gone he was. Just look at his desk and you can tell he's not the same person anymore."

"Eh, I don't know what to tell you. I suppose if there's anything you've ever wanted to say to him, sooner rather than later might be good to tell him. Before he isn't him anymore." Dean stood and headed towards the door.

"Yeah. Sorry about the over share. I appreciate the sandwich, and you checking up on my mum."

Dean nodded a little. "Don't mention it. But you might think about phoning Bea. Nicole mentioned something about packing up and leaving from where she is staying in Chester."

"She's going home? But I thought she was working on her paintings for the show?"

"That's tonight. You should talk to her." Dean walked out. The dull click of the door sounded like nails in a coffin.

Peter went back to the desk and grabbed his mobile. He looked at the selfie they had taken in the hot air balloon.

Peter wished he could be back in that moment. Huddled close to Bea, with her beautiful smile.